The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Lentil Soup
I really love split pea soup. This past weekend was pretty cool. It seems like its almost winter’s last gasp. So I needed some soup; split pea soup to be exact. I went to the pantry just sure that I had some dried split peas that I could make warm my soul; nope, none. I moved some things around and low and behold I saw plan B. Plan B is very popular in this household. I am always sure I have all the ingredients to make something and then find out I am one thing short or it’s not the right size. Such is life. This is where that old adage applies about lemons and lemonade. You know the one.

So I substituted my brown lentils for the split peas and made Lentil Soup/Vegetable Soup. This recipe comes from my old stand-by for old fashioned food, Farm Journal’s Country Cookbook, circa 1959. I just love this book. It’s my kind of food; old fashioned, rib sticking, country folk food. I am not a fancy eater so this fits me to a T. If I want to eat high brow, I go out to eat. Every once-in-awhile I will cook more high brown food, but it’s for special occasions.

While this dish lacks in upscale presentation, it hits the spot on an over cast Saturday afternoon after pulling weeds in the garden for a few hours.

Split Pea (Lentil) Vegetable Soup
You can float a frankfurter or Polish sausage slices in piping hot soup.
1 lb. dried split peas (2 cups)
3 qts. Water (use chicken stock for more flavor)
1 meaty ham bone or 1 ½ lbs. ham hock
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp marjoram leaves
1 ½ cup chopped onions
¾ cup chopped carrots
¾ cup chopped celery

Combine peas and water in large kettle. Bring to a boil; simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Add ham bone, salt, pepper, marjoram and onions. Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
Add carrots and celery. Continue simmering until tender, 30-40 minutes. Add more salt if necessary. Serve piping hot. Makes about 3 ½ quarts.

5 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

Lentil soup any which way is wonderful. I will be looking for this cookbook. So nice of you to reference it. Spring here. Lentils back in the pantry...

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

I made black bean soup on Sunday - I used a tub of fresh salsa to flavor it - yum - Have you ever used V-8 juice as your liquid when you make lentil soup? It really adds a nice flavor to it.

That cookbook sounds like a real winner - my sister shops at "used stores" all the time - I'll have her keep a look out for it :-) T.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed-I have had this cookbook pretty much the whole 28 years I have been married. I can't remember where I got it, but it has been a staple for me for a lot of things. There are some things that aren't there and I can just find those things via the internet. I really like cold lentils in a salad. My hubby is not as wild about them so I eat his portion too!

Tina-I have used Salsa for bean soup too as well as a topping for chicken and black bean enchiladas. I like making fresh but with my work schedule that isn't always possible. The V-8 sounds like a good idea. I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. Hope John is feeling better!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Vikki - We have babies...Tina

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina- I just came from your site and saw the babies. They are so cute and they look so small!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home