The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Boxed Cake
I know this is a strange title for an entry here, but I have a great recipe that is built upon a boxed cake; yellow to be exact.

One day while at work a co-worker brought a small paper plate over to me, shoved a fork at me and told me I had to eat this cake. I am not a huge fan of cake. I am more a pie and pastry eater, but it smelled really good and I was under peer pressure to eat it. So I did. WOW. This was a great piece of cake. It was moist and had a great flavor. Not a "run of the mill" cake. The title of this recipe is way to simple for such a wonderful cake. Below is the recipe and you will not be disappointed...I sure wasn't!

Pumpkin Cake
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 15 oz can pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie kind)
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar (if lumpy-sift)
1 8 oz tub of Cool Whip
1/4 cup of Caramel Topping (the kind you drizzle over ice cream)
1/2 pecans, rough chop

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour 2 9 inch cake pans
Beat cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice until well blended. Pour equally into the two pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.

Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add powdered sugar, remaining pumpkin pie spice (1/2 tsp), the remaining pumpkin from the can and mix well. Stir in Cool Whip.

Cut each cake in half. Stack layers spreading cream cheese mixture between each layer but not on the top or side of the cake. Drizzle the top with the Caramel topping and then sprinkle the chopped nuts on the top of the cake. Store in refrigerator.
Note: Please don't dump nearly the whole bottle of Caramel topping on the cake and then discover that it only calls for 1/4 cup. What this cake lacks in beauty because it's not iced all over, it more than makes up for in taste. I took this cake with me last night to a party and a sliver was left over for me when I got home for work today because I was such a good girl.

4 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Yum! It looks like the ultimate stack of pancakes.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

It is so easy to make that I was stunned at how good it was. I love to make cake from scratch but this one was really just great the way it was.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh goody, another pumpkin recipe - I have to have something to use up those 30 1# pkgs of frozen pumpkin in our deep freezer!

We have a party to go to on Sunday - this might be just the right dish to take :-) T.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina-this is so easy. I baked the cake the day before and stored it in the cake-take and then mixed up the rest in the mixer and threw it together. I think to make it look neater next time, I might pipe the icing with a large star tip to keep the stuff from oozing out the sides. It really was a hit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home