The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

For Starters…
I have been really getting attached to my book, The Bread Book by Betsy Oppenneer. I just love this book, because things have turned out pretty well so far. Saturday’s experiment is no different, thankfully.

I haven’t done a Starter in about 25 years. I had one that was for a recipe called, “Friendship Bread”. I got it from my neighbor and baked it as much as we could stand it to eat . The best part of the recipe (as I vaguely can remember) is that you baked the bread in a small coffee can. I just loved the idea of such a cheap vessel making such wonderful bread. The bread was dark and riddled with raisins. Once you cooled it, it was eaten with a nice slather of cream cheese. It might be considered“quick” bread.

Since the weather is dipping into the 60s and 70s, I have the bug to bake. I get this way every fall. So feeling moved by the weather change I decided to bake a recipe from Betsy’s book. I picked the Sourdough Pumpkin Swirl Bread. It was easy to make up, but I did not understand the direction towards the end and I think now after seeing how things turned out, that I REALLY didn’t get it. I do now, so the next time I make this recipe, I am going to try it her way.

So if you have never done a sourdough starter you will find this so easy. I did manage to get this part right!

Yeast Sourdough Starter
By Betsy Oppenneer

1 teaspoon active dry yeast
¾ cup lukewarm water (90-100 degrees F)
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat flour

Mix the water and the yeast in a 2-qt glass bowl. Let the yeast “bloom” for 5 minutes.

Add the flour to the softened yeast and stir to combine. Any lumps will disappear during fermentation. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; leave a small opening along one edge or poke 5 or 6 holes with a toothpick. Let stand at room temperature for 3 days. Room temp should be around 65-80 degrees.

The starter will get runny as it begins to work. After 3 days it will have risen and fallen, will be bubbly, and will have a slightly sour aroma. The more you use and maintain a starter, the more pungent it becomes.

Use the starter in any recipe calling for sourdough starter. Use ½ cup of starter to make the sponge for the recipe and the remaining ½ cup to maintain the “mother”. Store, uncovered, in the refrigerator.

Here is what the starter looks like after 3 days of bubbling on the kitchen counter.



Stay tuned for the Sourdough Pumpkin Swirl Bread in a few days...

3 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sourdough pumpkin bread sounds awesome! :-)

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

If I can get the picture to load will post this weekend. They were pretty good except for one little hitch, I think it went well.

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Thanks for posting this--I tried making a starter last year but it didn't quite work. The recipe I had recommended leaving it in the oven, but it exploded all over the place. What a mess! This seems much more manageable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home