The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

St. Louis Eats...well I might add!
While I was at the USPCA conference I got a chance to sample some local cuisine. We weren't really in St. Louis but in Clayton. The hotel we stayed at is a few blocks from some really cute restuarants all lined up in row so eating there was so easy. The places I wanted to talk about first, were a cab ride away into St. Louis.

During the chef's conference you can take classes that you sign up for in advance, like months and months in advance. I basically forgot what I signed up for, but when I got my schedule, I was totally pleased with myself! I took all cooking demo classes. Some classes were taught by USPCA chefs, and some by local professional restaurant chefs. All the classes that I took, were great. I got some new ideas and my motor has been renewed. Too bad we can't do this every 6 months!

One the classes that I signed up for was a French cooking demo. I was tickled pink because I went to France right after Sept. 11 for ten days and had a ball. I went to the south of France and was enrolled in a four day cooking school there. I had a great time and have spent the last five years since trying to get back there. So this class was just what I needed to make me want to charge more on my credit card so rack up those free miles.

The French cooking demo was taught by Eric Brenner. He is the Executive Chef for two restaurants. The first one is Chez Leon. Eric is the head chef there but goes two doors down to his own restaurant Moxy. Chez Leon is more of a white table cloth French restaurant as where Moxy is billed at a "contemporary bistro". Either way, you will just love both places!

After we watched the cooking demo, we all wanted the phone number to Chez Leon. Sadly it is closed on Monday nights so we got the number to Moxy and made reservations for four there at eight. We bearly got out of the class and I was dailing the number. We could not wait for dinner there after watching and listening to Eric passion for his craft. Please use the links to check out both places. If you are ever in St. Louis you will want to eat at both places.

We did not know that another party of happy personal chef eaters had made their reservations for 6:30 and we ran into them while we were there. Chef Eric was doing a $50 tasting menu with wine for every course. We said we would have the same and did not regret one single morsel.

I took pictures of every course but we ate by candle light. I did not want to use the flash because there were other diners besides us and it would just be rude. So this is as good as it gets for candle light.

First course...Truffle Risotto with Procini, Crimini and Parmesan











Second course...Rainbow Trout and Crab with Citrus Wild Rice, Sauteed Spinach and Dijon/Tarragon Beurre Blanc







Third Course...Seared Duck Breast with Roasted Apple, Rhutabega and Carrot-Pomegranate Reduction with Cinnamon









Fourth Course...Roasted Bistro Steak with Red Onion Jam, and Garlic Whipped Potaotes, Gorgonzola Demi Glaze.








...and last but not least DESSERT!

Black Cocoa Torte with Nutella and Toffee Ice Cream Bombe

4 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Well, yum - looks as good as it sounded the first time around. Glad you had a good time and GLAD that you got home before all the fal-de-rol with the carry on bags. Tina
P.S. Did that dinner come with a hand truck to move you out to your taxi? What a feast! :-)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I was tickled pink that all of that business at the airport happened right after I got home. I usually put that kind of banned stuff in my checked luggage anyway, but it's still a pain!

Actually the portions were really small. They look much bigger than they were. It was really good food. So good, I didn't have to add any salt or pepper.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

I've never been to Chez Leon but will or Moxy. But, I think I'm going to have to check them out the next time I go to St. Louis.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed, I was so disappointed that Chez Leon was closed. We peaked through the windows before going into Moxy. It's really nice inside. The outside looks strange but the indside is really nice. I would go back there any day of the week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home