The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Before and After...part 2
I guess there are not a lot of you posting at this time of the day on the weekend so loading pictures has gone more smoothly today. I wanted to get these done before I head off to my monthly food demo at the Fresh Market. I will be back to report on that later!
Here is a picture of a baby corn just getting it's silk. Since there aren't really any flowers to speak of this is as good as it gets.




As I have mentioned in the blog at another time, I love eggplant. I had much better success in a container on the deck two years ago. I had one black eggplant and a white one. They both were good producers but nothing has been as good as those ever since. I thought that if I planted in the ground, I would have even more eggplants. Alas, that has not been the case. We have two plants (both black) and have only two eggplants with one being slightly larger than the other. I am disappointed I have not gotten more from them. They started off really slowly so I guess we need to get some of that powder that prevents plant shock after planting. I was beginning to wonder if they were even going to grow at all, but as you can see I did get this one...

I was fast enough to get the green bean blossom right before it dropped off. We had a wicked rain and many of the blossoms got pounded off. So our green bean crop is slow to recoup from the rain.


Here is one of our first green beans. Don't ask me what kind it is, I don't have a clue. I picked 5 yesterday in varying sizes. At this rate one summer might produce a zip bag full. We planted three double rows of bean expecting more than 5. One bed got dumped on the by the neighbor's gutter being full. All the rain water got bogged down by pine needles and everything that wasn't able to drain, spilled over onto the third bed. So those plants are looking very pale and sad.

July26-I tried once again to post more pictures and was not able to. I am not sure if it's my Virus program (which has this and flickr as exceptions) or my photos are too large. I went to flickr and downloaded my photos and marked them as small. I tried to load from flickr to here to finish off my garden pictures but nothing worked. I will try again later after I get home from work. This is really frustrating!

3 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Hi Vickie, I envy your garden, difficult as it has been. Since I knew that I was moving this summer, I didn't grow anything but herbs. And I left those behind with my sister. Who, hopefully, hasn't killed them, but I'm not asking.

On a side note. I was also having tons of problems posting pics on blogger, when my hubby suggested that I try our Mozilla FireFox (a different browser, but like Internet Explorer, free to download). When I did, voila, no problem. So I decided the problem was Explorer. However, since I figured out what the problem was, I haven't had it happen again (of course!), but that means that I can use Explorer without a problem. I'd download and try using FireFox. I think you'll be happy. We have both loaded on my machine and there is no problem with having 2 browsers.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so impressed with your garden, Vickie, and so sad that we can't have one (remember last year? the deer ate EVERYTHING except the celery!). It also looks like that rabbit may have helped your corn out a bit, now that it's getting its silk! I can't wait to see what you do with your okra - I love deep fried okra, but have been looking for something healthier...but without the slime! I use Firefox too, and I've never had a problem loading pictures - it's free to download, which is also a bonus!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Dawn-it's a "starter" garden. We planted basic seeds we found at Lowes. I ordered a seed catalog so next year we will step it up a bit. We have learned a lot from this year!

I just might have to load FireFox and try it. Blogger is driving me nuts!

Michelle-the corn is going strong, thanks to rabbit pee! I can't wait to pick some ears! I am so sorry that you are not able to have a garden this year. I am hoping we can keep improving ours and make it bigger and better each year. It's tough when it gets hot. I really hate weeding in the summer months.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home