The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

She's a Stand Up Sort of Gal
Before my incident with a willful onion and a newly sharpened lethal weapon, I did cook. My local grocery store had a sale and I could not pass it up. After my adventures with a roasted chicken, I decided that I would not be defeated but might have to alter my expectations just a tad. I do watch some Food TV and happened upon a really cool idea that I had tried when I found it, but haven't used the idea in more than a few years. It wowed my company for dinner but we just never did it again. Why I don't know since it's a no brainer meal.


Those of you who love your grills will love this one. It's Beer Can Chicken. I can't believe that you can actually get a chicken to sit on top of a can of beer and have the most flavorful and moist chicken ever. Since hubby and I are not beer drinkers, I just bought a cheaper brand of beer I remembered from numerous commericals. I wasn't drinking it, but steaming with it.

There is no recipe...really! You just take a whole chicken and clean out all the little goodie bags inside. Olive oil, butter or what ever you like can be smeared all over the chicken along with some salt and pepper. I don't use the oil or butter but did salt and pepper and some dried rosemary.

I took a beer can and opened it with a can opener. You want the whole lid gone. I poured out 1/3 to 1/2 of the beer(no gasping from you hard core beer drinkers) and then sat the chicken on the beer can. It looks a bit odd when you get it on there but sits up straight pretty well.

The grill needs to be preheated and then you put your upright chicken on the grill, close the lid and walk away. I am not sure how long we left it on there, but it was the perfect amount of time. I took the temperature and the meat was at about 155. I took off the grill, pryed off the beer can (which is really a feat in itself) and laid the chicken on a platter for a few minutes of resting.

When we cut the chicken open, it was really juicy. I hate dried chicken and this was perfect. No more oven roasted diasters for me anymore! I have found my verision of the roasted chicken.

5 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You made beer can chicken? I'm so impressed! I've wanted to try this forever...I think, anyway, as long as I could get over sticking a can up a chicken's butt! Is that Budweiser...or Pabst? Pabst is the champagne of *shitty* beers, my dear, we drink it often! Well, my roommate does anyhow, and I prefer it over other canned beers by far... We even gave it a special place in our hearts when we *featured* a keg of Pabst at our "white trash" housewarming party! Those pictures are pure blackmail material...Ha!

I hope your nerve comes back into commission. :(

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog (A Blip on the Radar) My gosh - you and I have been living paralell lives - I think that Chicken Fried Steak is just about the ultimate food - but I never make it - my husband doesn't care for country gravy - ( culinary stick in the mud that he is, I love him to pieces though) - and two weeks ago, when I had the mobile sharpening guy out to sharpen John's lawnmower blades, I also had him sharpen my two good butcher knives - Hmmm, I thought, after he gave them to me - I should wash these off before I put them back in the knife block - Bad idea - must have been the drugs I was on from my recent surgery - Luckily I didn't need stitches - and luckily I had just been on antibiotics (from the same surgery) so it just healed up - but I did wear my little latex food handlers glove when I was doing anything around water for a week or so :-) so I know how annoying that was too. Take care - I'll bookmark your blog & be back - Tina

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - I've only heard about beer can chicken, but I've never personally tried making it. I think I might have to if it really makes your chicken juicy. I'm not a big beer drinker either. Question: Does the chicken taste like beer?

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle-don't be impressed. It was so easy that anyone can do this. It was a little weird sticking that can where the chicken's sun didn't shine but hey, you do what you have to do to have dinner!! I think the beer is Budweiser. I am not a beer person so I only wanted the flavor.

Tina-loved your sheep and I go to Farmgirl Fare too. She has Suffolks and I just love all their pictures and the pics of the farm. Cutting with a nicely sharpened knife hurts less than a dull one. I had no idea I had cut my finger until the onion started turning red. Gross, but true!

Ed-I did not taste any beer. I don't like beer and if it tasted like that, I wouldn't have eaten it. I only used about half the can so there wasn't that much.

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'll have to try this sometime. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home