The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Birthday Boy
I don't usually write much about my hubby, but Friday was his birthday and I had a brain storm to do a special dinner for him. I like to go out to eat when ever I can but honestly I have been pretty busy and really haven't done a whole lot of noteable cooking lately. So to make up for my working way too much, I wanted to make him something special.

I work in the Seafood dept. of a local chain grocery store and I see what comes and goes and when it's fresh and when it's teetering on the edge of gross. Hubby loves seafood and what luck I can actually get some...what are the odds? So after work on Friday and a new client interview for the Personal Chef side of the business I went back to the store and picked up dinner. Hubby thought we were just going to cook some Brats on the grill and have a simple dinner. I hadn't bought him a card or a gift; no time. Dinner will make up for everything and score me a tired foot rub to be determined at a later date.

We are pretty simple eaters there at home and we are not really fussy folks but I do try to do some new things for the blog every now and then. I have done this dinner before but not in a very long time because of the expense. Time was small but money was big. After it was all said and done we might have been able to go out to eat this sort of thing cheaper. Oh well, I still have stock in a lovely tired foot rub.

So here is dinner...


This is the salad-baby spinach, yellow tomatoes, shredded carrots, slice cucumbers and sliced red bell peppers. I picked the yellow tomatoes because I thought they would look nice with the deep red from the bell pepper and the dark green of the baby spinach.

I tried to bake some really HUGE potatoes but in the end, stuck them in the microwave to finish them.
This is the main course, but of course! Nothing is better than a nice piping hot red Maine lobster dipped in heart clogging melted butter! Ask my husband, and he will swear this is true as the butter runs down his chin and his eyes roll up in the back of his head showing his total delight.

This is the finished product. I took two live lobsters and put them into a pot of boiling water. I don't boil them, I steam them. There is a steamer insert in this large pot. I also use a lid with something heavy on the top of it to keep the lid from coming off. You already can guess why, so I won't go into anymore detail about that. I sprinkle OldBay on the lobsters and they are perfectly steamed after about 5-8 minutes. Our lobsters weighted 1.61 and 1.64 so they went closer to 8 minutes.


We topped off the dinner with a really cold bottle of Tomahawk Mills Vidal Blanc. I had forgotten it was in the wine refrigerator but hubby found it when I mentioned I forgot to pick a bottle for dinner. We got really lucky with this one. We bought about 4 or 5 bottles at the Town Pointe Wine Festival in downtown Norfolk, Virginia, in October of last year. We try to attend every year to discover new wines that are Virigina grown. This was a gem and sadly I don't remember how much we paid for it, but it was well worth it.


This is the casual (lazy) way of setting the birthday dinner table. We were just so excited that I cooked we didn't care about all the foo-foo stuff, just good eats! Notice the size of the spud on the dinner plate closest to these words. It takes up half the plate and neither one of us finished it.

I think dinner was a success and I got that foot rub!

7 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

Happy late birthday to the husband- looks like quite the smashing feast!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

We did a lot of smashing. When I had the bright idea of getting the lobsters, I didn't think about what it would take to get that lovely meat into the butter. I think I need to invest in some less construction type tools.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh! Happy belated b-day to Hubby! I'm so jealous of this meal! YUMMY, and what a lucky hubby he is! I've only had one lobster in my life (though a bit here and there at a red lobster, which is not the same) when LB took me out to Cape Cod, but it was utterly amazing - I probably looked something similar to hubby with butter rolling down my chin...luckily I had the obligatory lobster bib to go with my messy eating :)

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Deetsa said...

foo-foo stuff bedamned, it looks like a birthday dinner to be proud of! Happy birthday to the other half!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - Happy Belated Birthday to the Hubby! Wow. He must be really special to get a surf (lobster) and turf (HUGE potato) dinner. Looks like y'all had quite the celebration! Did the Krewe of Doxies help with the celebration?

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed-if the doxies had helped with the dinner, there wouldn't have been any. They did however, lick the floor clean which is their job as Zoe knows.

Lobster anything is hubby's favorite food so I couldn't go wrong. He loves those lobster roll sandwiches they have in New England so one of these days I will surprise him with that.

Michelle-after you move to Hawaii, you will have to write all about their food and customs which I know nothing about.

Melissa-He's a great husband and I am not the easiest person to live with so I have to make up for all that meaness!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - I love lobster, too. There is a restaurant here in SF called Cafe Jacqueline that has a lobster souffle. So rich. So decadent. So tasty. I bet your husband would love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home