The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Veganism continued...
Since I couldn't get the rest of the pictures for my cookday on Monday to post I thought I would try again.
Guacamole




I had heard an old wives tale that if you leave the pit in the Guacamole it wouldn't turn burn. I can varify from the client on Monday, that's not true. When I loading Tuesday's food, I did see brown in the Guacamole bowl.
Baba Ghannouj

Baba Ghannouj is baked eggplant, with various ingredients and then all of that is pureed. It's meant to eaten warm with warmed slices of pita bread. I didn't used to be a huge fan of eggplant but the last few years, I have just loved it anyway it's fixed. This is an Indian (India) recipe. It's very easy to make and even easier to eat!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Baked Fennel with Crumb Crust

I know this is covered with organic bread crumbs and you can't see the Fennel too well but it is under there. I have never baked it but have used it with tomatoes plenty of times over the years. Most folks have no idea what it is and when they hear that it has a licorice test, they baulk at the thought of eating it. Once the fennel is split into quarters and then boiled for about 10 minutes, there is only a faint flavor of licorice.

Farfalle Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach


I could not find an Farfalle pasta at the organic store, so I substituted with another kind of pasta. Using a flat small pasta works the best. Penne is too heavy for this pasta salad.

Here is the rest of the menu for Tuesday...I sadly did not act quick enough to get pictures.
Vegetable Pot Pie
Greek-Style Lentil Salad
Vegetable Risotto

Wednesday I made...
Lentil (Red) Chickpea Burgers with Coriander Garlic Cream (I did not make the Coriander Garlic Cream. I could not find a good Vegan substitue for cream, so I bought Veganaise and added the spices and garlic to that for the client to spread on their whole wheat hamburger buns. I left them sliced tomatoes and lettuce leaves for the burgers.

Hawaiian Salad (this is a strange list of ingredients but this is my second year to make this for the clients) The ingredients are-green peas, red grapes, cantaloupe, oranges, apples, pecan pieces, bibb lettuce, roma tomaotes, mint, canola oil, and cider dressing.
Sugar Peas and Carrots in Lime Butter
Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
Quinoa with Corn and Potatoes


I hope that I am invited back to cook for some of the family members again, but if not, it was a wonderful experience and I got to try tons of new recipes.

6 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Ooohh Vicki - that Roasted Red Pepper Hummus looks Yummy! Your sweater you are knitting is pretty cool too - Have a great week! Tina

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Thanks Tina. I am slowly making progress on the sweater. Thank goodness it's not cold and no one is depending on me for it's warmth. I am so slow!

I love Hummus and I really like the Roasted Red Pepper one. I roasted the peppers instead of using jarred ones like it called for. It's just so easy to make that from scratch.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

YUM. That farfalle salad looks awesome, as does everything else! You're inspiring me to cook more vegetarian dishes too! I've heard that thing about the avocado pit too, so I'm glad that you tried it out and now I know not to!

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

MIchelle, I had hoped that it would work. Sometimes old wives tales have a thread of truth to them, like chicken soup and a cold.

So are you busy planning the wedding menu?

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

No way - I wish I had more control over it...right now, cost is our biggest issue and both places we're looking at have the 'site fee' and a 'minimum' food fee that is included with the site fee! I of course, like the more expensive menu...(I am actually considering cooking for the rehearsal dinner though! or maybe just the at-home receptions! I know, I'm crazy!) Want to come and cater for me?? :)

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, sure you tell me what you want and I will come with my knife in hand ready to create! Why not have a "pot luck" or a BBQ reception? Lots of folks on budgets do that and it's always a more relaxed time for everyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home