The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, July 08, 2006


East Coast vs West Coast
My wonderful friend Michelle (who is newly engaged-yeehaw) sent me a can of her favorite canned crab in an Oregon care box. I set the can on the shelf in the pantry saving it for just the right moment. I know that Michelle thinks that I forgot I promised to make some crab cakes. Well last night I did just that. I decided that hubster and I would do a taste comparison of east coast crab to west coast crab. I used the same ingredients and here is what it looked like...

The blue can on the top is Michelle's crab and the tub on the bottom is mine. Michelle's was four ounces and mine was a full pound but the recipe was scaled to fit each correctly.

Here are all the ingredients gathered up and ready to go. I thought that four egg whites was way too much for the pound of crab so I did only use three and the fourth one was for Michelle's crab.

Everything was chopped, minced, whipped and then folded together. The patties were formed and the cakes were lightly fried in canola oil (please do not mention the okra disaster).

Here are the two cakes that I got from Michelle's crab and then these are the ones that I got from my tub of crab...

I thought that a bottle of wine would round out the rest of the meal nicely so I picked a bottle ($10-I am totally a BIG spender-LOL!) of Robert Mondavi Private Selection 2004 Pinot Grigio. It went really well with the dinner and hubster said he liked it better than the oakey Chards that I usually pick.


We had cole slaw (yes, he did go to KFC for that), hush puppies, tarter and cocktail sauce. I was stuffed and felt like the whole dinner was a success. Now for the taste taste results. I am a huge crab lover. I would almost rather eat crab than lobster. I said almost.
So hubster and I tasted each tasted the west coast cake first (company from Oregon always goes first) and then the east coast crab. We both decided that the west coast crab was sweeter than the east coast. The texture was more stringy and even looked more translucent than the other crab. So we think we need a larger sample and might just have to go to Oregon to eat some more to continue our research.

My best wishes to
Michelle and the Loving Boyfriend for a lovely wedding in the spring no matter which coast they choose. I have bookmarked all the airlines to book my reservation to attend the wedding. Can we please put in a vote for Hawaii? I need to scuba dive, bad!

8 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Awww, shucks! You're the best. Thanks for the sweet congratulation wishes, and we're now leaning towards having the wedding here, but you are still welcome to come to Hawaii and scuba dive anytime - we'll be there for 4 years, probably!

Very scientific taste test - I'm so impressed (the recipe scaling and everything!!). They look positively beautful. I do have to tell you, there's nothing like fresh Dungeness... that can was just the beginning!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Sounds yummy! I've only tried making crab cakes once, and I guess my family are bigger shrimp eaters than crab or lobster (go figure, we have expensive taste in everything else, I think).

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - wow. those crab cakes sound great! I wish I could eat crab. But I developed an allergy to crabs as an adult. =(

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle-I can fly to Oregon! And you know eventually I will be in Hawaii too. I really liked the crab that you sent. So now I will have to come to the wedding so I can have some West coast crab.

Dawn-My youngest son is a shrimp eater and my oldest son doesn't touch seafood at all. Hubster loves lobster and will eat shrimp and lastly crab. But tough on them I have to treat myself every once-in-awhile, especially since I do ALL the cooking!

Ed-I am so sorry to hear that you can't eat crabs. Can you have any seafood at all?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha! You might have to come out before the wedding and I'll cook you some crab! There's no way I'm feeding crab to all the wedding guests - I had no idea how much these things cost!!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, it's a deal! I will go most anywhere for good food and even better company!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - I can have all types of seafoods except crab. Go figure. But don't worry. My allergies don't always stop me. Every now and then I'll take a few bites. I just have to make sure I have Benadryl handy.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed, you poor thing! I would hate to be allergic to anything. It's bad enough to be lactose intolerate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home