The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Friday, July 21, 2006


Before and After
This entry has to do with before and after in our surburban garden. I went out last week and took some pictures. With Flickr and Blogger having issues lately, I was not able to post the pictures. So, hopefully today will be my lucky day.

This is the okra flower before it becomes...


Okra grows vertically. When it first starts out the leaves are small and more compact. I have noticed now that our okra is getting taller, their leaves are spreading out and are getting larger. The okra flower drops off and this appears. I try and cut them about 3-4 inches in length. They seem to grow pretty rapidly. If you don't pick them on the smallish side they get woody and are no good to consume.

I got out to the garden just a bit too late to catch the bloom on this one. This is a burpless cucumber. This is a baby...

... and this is the cucumber grown to a nice size; about 8-9 inches. They are prickly on the outside, but really good on the inside. When you wash them the little prickly hairs come off and the cucumber is no longer "hairy" but bumpy. They are very mild in taste.

This is the cucumber at about 8-9 inches. We have put down pinestraw down on all of our garden pathways to keep the weeds down. When it gets hot and humid, I hate going out to weed.

I have more pictures but guess I have reached my picture posting limit with Blogger. This is really frustrating. I will post the rest on another day when I can get things to post in a timely manner.

4 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Hey Ms. V. - I wonder if your pictures have too many megapixils or something - I've yet (knock on something wood) to have a problem downloading pics - I think there were 8 on the sheep to shawl day. Nice looking cucumbers - I think I have a Hungarian cucumber salad recipe - I'll look for it tomorrow. Tina

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

P.S. I got your link on my blog - I'm so pleased with myself for finally figuring it out! Yahoo!
:-) T.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Tejfeles Uborkasalata (Hungarian Cucumber Salad with cream)
2 cucumbers
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSP vinegar
1/2 cup commercial sour cream
Paprika
About 2 hours befroe serving:
1. Pare cucumbers; cut into paper thin slices; place in bowl; toss with salt; refrigerate 2 hours
2. Drain cucumbers very well. Blend vinegar with sour cream; stir into cucumbers.
3. Turn cucumbers into serving dish; sprinkle with paprika; serve. Makes 4 servings.

This recipe is from an OLD (we're talking late 50's or early 60's - my mom was a packrat) Ladies Home Journal article called A Little Treasury of Hungarian Dishes. I saved it out of the magazine because our little Unitarian church has a Transylvanian partner church and we occasionally hold Hungarian/Transylvanian dinners to raise money for our partner church. Anyhow - thought you'd enjoy another way to fix your burgeoning crop of cucumbers. Have a great weekend. T.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina t-p, thanks for the link. As you can see I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will get it up there. I need to make some changes so I will do all of them at once. Thanks also for the recipe for the cucumbers. I think there are two out in the garden right now screaming to be picked. We have had a lot of rain so I will wait until tomorrow in hopes I don't have to take a boat out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home