The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Quick Seafood
This past weekend I did another demo at the my local Fresh Market. I am almost at the end of this year's run. We are only allowed to do demos 10 months of the year. I didn't understand this until one of the other demonstrators explained to me how crazy things are there during November and December. I will seeing my regular attendees, but will be excited to see them in January when we start up again.

I was put into an awkward situation on Friday when I got a call from one of the assistant managers who told me that we couldn't get the fish I needed for my demo. So we had to make a last minute substitution. Thankfully, it worked beautifully!

Below is the recipe that I made for the demo. It only had a few ingredients and was super easy to make. I am not sure if this ingredient is available all over the country so I will make suggestions how you can alter the recipe.

Seared Halibut with Scallion and White Wine Sauce
Makes 4 portions
5 scallions, sliced on the bias
1 tomato, large and diced
2 TBS lemon juice, fresh
4-7 ounce 1" thick Halibut
salt and pepper to taste
2 TBS canola oil
1 TBS capers, drained
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup Sauvignon Blanc or other dry white wine (Chardonnay would be great)

Season halibut on both sides with salt and pepper. In a 12-inch saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook one side of fish for about 3 minutes (until lightly browned). Turn fish, reduce heat to medium. Cook approximately 4 minutes longer, until fish is opaque in center and browned on both sides. Set aside and cover to keep warm.

Pour off any oil in pan and add wine and lemon juice. Raise heat to high and deglaze pan by scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until sauce reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in butter, one slice at a time. Add scallions, capers and tomato. Season with salt and pepper and pour over fish on platter. Serve immediately.

Recipe changes:
Since there was no Halibut available I decided to use scallops. I wanted something more upscale for my target audience. If Halibut isn't available or scallops either, you can substitute any mild white fish such as Flounder or Tilapia.

7 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

Somehow, Vicky, I've the feeling you'll find enough to keep you busy 'till next year!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I forgot to leave a message on your blog the other day about your birthday. The vanity set is to die for. So pretty! I hope you had a wonderful birthday!! I will be seeing Prue this weekend to serve for Rosh H. She asked me if you like your new job at the Press. Hopefully, that answer is yes.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Mmm...don't I wish we still had some halibut in the freezer. I'm going to keep this one to try - it sounds really delicious!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, after I saw the fresh caught Halibut, I really wanted to try it with that instead of the scallops. The green stuff underneath the scallops is a tri-colored pasta that was on hand. It didn't photograph very well, but it looked really good at the time and the color of the plate made it pop.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oohh - that looks Delish & it even looks like something DH would eat - (& it would fit into his new low cholesterol diet, I would think...) When I sold Pampered Chef, the food demo's were my favorite part - kind of like being Rachel Ray without the TV cameras LOL - T.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina- it's like being Rachel Ray without the money and Oprah as you best friend too! LOL!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - Halibut, scallops, or tilapia. I don't care. It all sounds delicious!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home