The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Good Grillin'
I have only heard of people using their grills to cook a pizza but have never done it myself. I got a bee in my bonnet on Sunday and decided that I wanted a grilled pizza. So I tried to find my pizza recipe that has to rise and could never put my hands on it. I found my Cusinart book and low and behold there was a recipe for pizza dough in there. Better yet, it did not have to rise. So I was good to go.

I went out into the garden and picked all the ripe tomatoes I could find along with some sad looking Basil and decided that would be the topping for one pizza. I checked in the pantry for the Pizza Quick that I had in mind for the pizza sauce. I got to thinking about how long it has been in there and just as a lark, read the expiration date. Good Grief! It expired in 2005. Can we say (FIFO-First In, First Out)?

I mixed up the dough in the Cusinart, which I have never done before. It was so fast that I just might not ever use the Kitchen Aid recipe ever again! Too quick. Then I opened up a can of tomato paste and smeared it all over the top of the two rounds that I had rolled out on the cart. I didn't add anything to it, just wanted to keep it simple. One pizza had some really over ripe roma tomatoes with some sad looking heat frizzled basil and then a handfull of mozzrella cheese. I brushed the exposed crust with olive oil The second pizza had crumbled up cooked sausage and assorted grilled veggies and of course, a hand full of cheese. But of course, I can't get Blogger to load the second picture and so all you get to see is the one with the Roma tomatoes.


Then it was off to a non-stick sprayed, pre-heated grill to see what was going to happen. I was shocked that it was so quick and they turned out right nicely if I do say so myself. They weren't pretty by any means, but they did hit the spot. Both hubby and I were shocked!

8 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Vickie!

Cook's Illustrated has a great recipe for grilled pizza (although it does require a rise). It contains a bit more oil, but then you don't have to oil the grill. You grill one side until it's rather crisp. You take it off the grill and top the grilled side.

Since it won't take long for the pizza to be done all ingredients should already be cooked. If I'm using a sauce I just brush it on. Once the pizza is topped you put it back on the grill to char the bottom. If it gets too charred just move it to a cooler part of the grill to melt the cheese. Delish!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Betsy-I just loved seeing that something worked that I just went with without a net. I do scary things like that all the time!

I cooked all the ingredients of my pizza first except the one with the tomatoes and basil. I didn't want them cooked to see how watery the tomatoes would be. It worked out fine!

I really hate waiting for the dough to rise so the recipe I used worked out perfectly. I waited until the last minute so it REALLY worked out well.

How is your blog going?

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow! This is impressive! Our grill would burn the pizza to a CRISP - it's very old and crappy! Your pizza sounds delicious!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you -- who needs a stinkin' recipe!!!

Blog's up and running -- check it out!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Hey Ms. V. - I want to come to YOUR house for dinner - YUM! :-) Tina

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

Grilled pizza kicks arse!! The first time I had it was when our power was out during Isabelle... I'd made the dough the day before.

It may have been the fact that we were just hungry from clearing trees all day, but it was the best pizza I've ever tasted.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha! You haven't posted in as much time as I haven't posted and here I was feeling bad! Did you ever get your picture uploading to work or did you "throw in the towel" so to speak? Just came over to see what you're up to, my dear...

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle-I will have a post for tomorrow. I worked on it this past evening and then my virus protection program did an update and I lost everything I had just typed in Grrrr! So, I will re-do it tomorrow when I have time. Thanks for checking on me. It's nice to know you are missed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home