The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Friday, October 13, 2006


Let the Baking Begin
I love fall, winter and spring here in Virginia. I have always been fond of cold weather for several reasons. I love to bake. I really enjoy more hearty foods and I am a sweater and sweats sort of girl. Since we have just now today gotten our first really cool day, I have been baking.

I decided that since my youngest son lives at home again and has such a busy schedule I would use him for an excuse to bake muffins. Poor child lives like his hair is on fire. So to help him at least get a few things that aren't fast food in him, muffins will fit the bill. I can leave them on a plate on the counter for quick exits or freeze them as need be.

I thumbed through The Bread Book by Betsy Oppenneer and found several muffin recipes that I wanted to try. This first one made me curious for two reasons. One is uses no eggs. And two, it uses wheat germ. Now I am not a health food nut, but using wheat germ sounded like a pretty good idea.

This recipe just sounded strange to me and I am happy to say, they tasted pretty good. There was one ingredient that I did leave out because hub doesn't like nuts in his food. So I left the nuts out.


Wheat Germ and Banana Muffins
Makes 12 large muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup wheat germ (you can toast the wheat germ in a non-stick skillet on medium heat and shake or stir in around in the pan until you smell that toasty smell or you can just leave it plain)
1 tsp salt
1 TBS baking powder
1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cup bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
1/2 cup honey
2 TBS vegetable oil (canola will do just as well)

Preheat oven to 375. Grease 12 standard (7 TBS) muffin cups or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat germ, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and peanuts until well mixed.
Combine the buttermilk, bananas, honey, and oil. Stir well, just until combined. Take care not to overmix-the mixture should be slightly lumpy.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cups so that they are 2/3s full. If you want extra-large muffins, fill the cups to the top.
Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove the muffins from the pan and serve warm or cool on a rack.



4 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Hmm - those might appeal to my DH who is trying very hard to eat healthier (got to lower his triglycerides by about 700 points) Maybe I'll try them.

I checked and there are two Shetland Sheep breeders in TX - one in Golden & one in Canton - I also have a friend in Arizona - I don't know that it would be too much different than the heat that they get throughout the midwest would it?

Speaking of Texas! I get to go to San Antonio on a business trip next week. I am very excited about it. We leave here on Thursday - spend most of the day traveling - but we have all day Friday free before our conference starts Fri. night. Cool, huh? It should be fun! :-) T.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina- you have to visit the board walk and maybe eat a meal there too. It's a very alive place just to wonder around. I have been there twice and even as a tourist, I felt very comfortable and welcome. You have to see the Alamo. It's WAY smaller than you would think after seeing it in so many movies! It brought tears to my eyes that as a native Texan, so many died to make Texas a state and not part of Mexico. It was very moving.

Thanks for doing to research on the sheep. I will have to do some myself. I want a small flock, maybe 10 or so just for the fleece since I am a spinner and knitter, but would like to make some $$ to help feed the sheep too.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I saw your post on Accidental Scientist regarding Michelle's Date Loaf - and I was going to put my own comment up about my grandmother's and mother's Date Loaf candy. I HAVE that recipe, and make it every Christmas! Do you want it? Here's what I'll do - I'm going to post it on my blog for everyone to have. No picture, though; that wll have to wait till Thanksgiving, when I'll make it for my son who's coming home on leave from Korea.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Mmm - they look delectable all piled up on a plate there! I love your description of your son running around like his hair is on fire! Sounds like me! ...and it looks like Cyndi may have a solution to that missing recipe - I hope it tastes just like your grandmother's!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home