The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Cuban Food

Cuban Food

While flipping channels on the telly, I found a wonderful show that I had no idea was even on. It's called Daisy Cooks. Daisy's show is on my local PBS station. I have only watched it once but got something really great from it. I waited a bit too long before going to her site so the recipe that I wanted is not posted. I clicked on the Recipe section and there is a disclaimer that said not all the recipes from her show can be posted due to copyright laws. If you look at the site, you can see that she is selling a cookbook thus no recipe for what I am about to talk about...


The show is 30 minutes long and she had one of her son's on and her daughter. They made something on banana leaves but I wasn't as interested in that as I was the first thing she made. I was so interested that my grocery list for the next day, had all the ingredients for the recipe I really liked.


This link is almost the same recipe as Daisy had on her show. Here is what I did. I followed Daisy's instructions and it worked like a charm

Here is the beginning of the sandwich. I used a large loaf of French bread cut lengthwise. The loaf is slathered with Mayonnaise and then a layer of sliced ham is folded and laid on the bread. I cooked a pork roast and then sliced it and that was laid on top of the ham. The last layer is Swiss cheese and then of course the dill pickes are laid on the cheese. The sandwich is then cut in half and wrapped in foil. The oven is preheated to 350 degrees. The sandwich is put on a sheet pan and then another sheet pan is placed on top of the foiled wrapped loaves. You need to add something heavy in order to smash the sandwich. The timer was set for about 20 minutes, give or take...

I know it looks a bit weird, but believe me; it does not affect the taste one bit. It's cheaper than this... When all it said and done, you get this! Not too shabby.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger s'kat said...

Cuban sandwiches ROCK!!!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

This was my first cuban sandwich. I am thinking about buying Daisy's cookbook and trying out some of her other recipes. Might be a good investment in my collection.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh, yum, yum, yum. I've seen these made on the Food Network but have never tried them, because I know that my DH would "wrinkle up his face, stick out his tongue & go Blecht" Just not his kind of food, unfortunately (you ought to see the lengths I go to to put garlic in things LOL) Just might have to try it for a potluck or something like that though... I would think some carefully wrapped bricks would work as weights too, do you think?

Hope you are staying warm! Tina

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm... Haven't had a good cuban in awhile! Well, Ms. Vixky, I want to tell you that I appreciate your blog. I'm a homesick Virginian (born and raised in Chesapeake) living in San Antonio and readin about the Neptune festival and the Food and Wine festival have given me a little piece of home. Thanks!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Lelie, thanks for coming by. I am so shocked that anyone besides my friends read my blog. I started it just to teach myself things about the internet and it has turned out to be so much more. I am sorry that you are not here and I am not there in Texas where I would much rather be. Seems you and I have a lot in common!

I guess I need to show pictures about how much VA Beach has changed. Hubby read in the paper yesterday that one of new buildings going up on the corner of Independence and VA Blvd is going to be the state's tallest building. I am not sure that I am pleased about it. They knocked down a huge amount of trees to put it there.

Did you know that Chesapeake got snow last week. Yup, about an inch. That place is growing by leaps and bounds too. Thanks for coming by. I will try and take more local pictures.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - That looks absolutely delicious. I had my first tate of Cuban sandwiches in Miami. MMM. Sounds so good right now. Especially since I saw on the weather channel that it's 80 degrees in Miami!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

yum! it looks delicious :)
Happy Valentines!

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed-right now I would trade here for Miami in a skinny minutes. It's in the 20s. I can't whine to much though, those folks in NY and getting slammed. Think they would come here for the 20s??

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

It's hard to get great Cuban sandwiches outside Miami, Vicky. The last good one I had was in, of all places, The Ram's Head Roadside Tavern outside Annapolis, MD.
Susan at farmgirl directed me to your site. I'm a former Washington Post reporter and personal chef/caterer/gardener with a new blog, www.theslowcook, out of DC. I've got you bookmarked, so I'll see you in the blogosphere.

Ed Bruske

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love Cuban sandwiches! But my first experience with them was through friends from Tampa, and they added mustard and sliced tomatoes to the basic sandwich - yummy late-night comfort food!

(Just found both your blogs by way of Wool-Winder, and I'm happy I did.)

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger The Fernandez Family said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I was looking for this recipe on the Create website but couldn't find it! I love Daisy! Her recipes usually consist of ingredients you have in your house! And they're simple and yummy looking, this will be the first one of hers I try. There was another one that I wanted to try of hers it was a sausage and onion pizza, and then there was the mexican cheese balls!

Ashlie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home