The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!
I know it's been nearly a month since I have last posted, but the month of December was a very busy month for me. I got two new clients and worked extra hours at work. I didn't do any Christmas baking or send out any Christmas cards. I am working on a letter for '07. It's slow but like everything else lately, it takes a back seat to working both jobs and knitting. I have been cooking but nothing so exciting to write about. Things have been so busy, my sourdough starter died. I forgot to feed it as it got scooted further and further to the back of the refrigerator. Such is life!

I did do one more bread from the sourdough starter that I tried to post a million times but just could not get it to post. I will post it, I promise. I just wanted to stop by and let everyone who breezes by that I am still alive. I know my mother-in-law said I needed to post something so this one is for family.

I have been making this really unhealthy thing for years and my youngest son loves this stuff. It was after we opened presents that I got this shot. He is skinny as a rail, and still can pack away nearly half of this thing in one sitting.

This is called Monkey Bread. I have seen a billion different recipes for this but I keep it simple. It's four cans of cheap biscuits, 1 stick of butter, 1 cup or either light or dark brown sugar, a few cups of granulated sugar and about 1 TBS of cinnamon. The granulated sugar and cinnamon are combined in a large bowl and the biscuits are torn up into either three or four pieces and then dropped in the sugar mixture, rolled around and dropped into a bundt pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. You do all four cans that way. Then you melt the stick of butter and dump the brown sugar in the pot with the butter. Stir to combine. Then pour that mixture over the biscuits in the bundt pan. That's baked at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes. After you are sure the biscuits are baked, flip over the bundt pan over a plate and start eating. It's the best when it's warm. I have been recipes with raisins and nuts combined in with the raw biscuits but we just love the simple way best.


I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I will try to be more regular at blogging since work has gone back to the same hours from before the holidays. Everyone be safe out there.

8 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Ilva said...

Happy New Year Vickie! And yes, try to blog more this year!

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Happy New Year to you too! I had such high hopes that I would blog more this past year. Maybe I can do better this year. I have a few things in mind that I would like to try. My anniversary is coming up soon so maybe it will be time to kick it up a notch!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - Happy New Year to you and your family! I love monkey bread. My friend Zandra used to make monkey bread in college. Back then, I could eat it without worrying about how much butter and sugar it has in it. Now, I'm a little conscious about it, but that doesn't mean I don't indulge every once in a while. =)

PS - Rocco and Zoe are wondering when they will get to see doxies on WDB again.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed, I only fix Monkey Bread every once-in-awhile. I can't eat very much of it myself, but my son can sock that stuff away. Ah, the good 'ole days.

I haven't been taking many pictures of the dogs lately. I wish I had my camera the other day when all four were lined up in my chair together sleeping It was rare and very cute. I will try and get some up there soon.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

Happy holidays, Vickie! This is such a busy season. I'm just glad it's done with!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

s'kat-I have been reading the blog just not commenting. One of these days we will have to meet at the Fat Canary and have dinner.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, so glad to see you are back at it and loved Ryan in his new hat! GJ

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Dear GJ, I knew you would love seeing the child with his new hat. I had just bought a pattern for a Peru hat for him and then he got that sort of hat from you. I don't know if I will knit it now, but maybe when he wears yours out, I can sneak mine in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home