The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Eating Out in Peru (part 2)

Eating Out in Peru (part 2)
Since I couldn't get all the pictures all to post in one post, I had to split up our dinner. I wanted to order something different from hubby so I ordered the Avocado Salad. I am a sucker for anything that has avocado on it. I was first introduced to Avocados when I was in my early 20s. I know, you are saying.."but you are a Texan and you should have eaten gallons upon gallons of guacamole by then". Well, I did eat some but had never had avocados on a sandwich. While land locked in Texas I met a "surfer dude" who made me an avocado sandwich. I was hooked. Any time I go out to eat Mexican food, I can't have anything without some guacamole on it, thus the eager ordering of the Avocado Salad.

Avocado Salad-Sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers with house vinaigrette sauce. This salad was pretty straight forward and really yummy. I don't often eat iceburg lettuce anymore, but this was really refreshing.





For my entree I ordered Arroz Con Pollo. I thought for sure I was going to be short changed with this when I saw the piece of chicken was a drumstick. Wrong! After eating this I was thinking I should have worn stretch pants because I was more full than I thought I would be. The Arroz Con Pollo consisted of rice with chicken in cilantro sauce served with Salsa Cirolla.

The drumstick was so tender that it almost fell off the bone when I tried to pick it up and eat it. A knife would have been a total waste of time. The rice had some vegetables diced up in it and it was fluffy. I didn't eat much of the onion and tomato salad (Salsa Criolla) because I was getting full. But not too full to think about dessert.

Before I talk about dessert, I wanted to talk about the most unique "starter" I have ever had. This one really stumped me. After we got our drinks the waiter brought this little plate out to us. When I first looked at it, I thought those things were
Corn nuts. They aren't. They seem to be really large kernals of corn that have been fried in a little oil and then sprinkled with some salt. I wish I had taken a picture of the inside. It was very starchy and totally while inside like an almost popped kernal of popcorn. It was soft and really strange. I loved them. Such an odd texture in the middle and in my mouth. The green sauce, was a bit spicy. You really had to grip that little kernal to get it dipped in the cup, but I managed to get some on there. It was tasty. I have never had anything like that before.



Since I a dessert person, I could not resist this part of the meal. Churros seem to be a standard on a lot of menus for latino restuarants. I love them because they remind me of an apple pie rolled into a stick. With this order you got a very small (too small for me) cup of caramel and one of chocolate syrup. We poured it all over the fried tubes and went to town.

I have to say that hubby and I both agreed that we would come back here and eat another time. We want to try everything on the menu. It was a find for us and the whole meal only cost us $10 a head excluding the drinks, dessert and of course the lovely food sales tax here and the tip so a hard working waiter. I was pleased that we tried something knew from a country we know nothing about (well, I know they have fabulous wool that comes from there) and we want to learn more. It was a good experiment!

If you have a chance to eat Peruvian food, it will be well worth your time and money.

6 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks very yummy! Would the starter have been fried hominy? (not a personal favorite of mine - mom used to serve it the same meal that she'd serve fried liver. Ho, boy - talk about disgusting! - and we didn't have a dog to palm it off on) But the picture looks about the right size for it.

What fun to find a new restaurant to try! T.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina-no it's not fried hominy. I like hominy so I know this stuff was different. This had not been soaked in lye. It was like a gaint popcorn kernal that hadn't popped. Sort of like the "old maids" at the bottom of the bag. Even though it was odd, I did like it. I will have ask them what it is the next time we go and eat there.

I too, am not a fan of liver. I was never made to eat it, so I was lucky here. Hubby loves it so if he eats liver, we go out and he orders it. I try not to watch him eat it. ugh!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

What a fantastic trip! Are you planning to go to the Conference in August? Un abrazo,
M

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Melissa, I am planning on going to conference. I will be teaching the full-day ServSafe class. I saw you were teaching so I am really going to make it a point to try and get together with you! I am so pleased that you will be making the trip over.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Off topic here - lambs - the bouncy woolley type - just thought I'd let you know we'll help you get your fix in about a month or so - we should have 4 from the two ewes :-) I'll keep you posted! T.
P.S. - wonder why blogger changes me to "anonymous" sometimes?

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina, I just love babies. I love seeing Susan's lambies in the spring!

I was going to ask you about the anonymous thing too. Before it changed me to the new blogger your name was up there, but then I switched it and now you don't have a name anymore. Has that happened on another site besides mine?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home