The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Eating Out in Peru (part 1)
Every year the cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach have a special event that features different restaurants in the area. Some have lunch menus to offer, some dinner menus and some do both. I have seen this event advertised on TV for years but really never did care anything about going out to do this thinking it would be a stampede. I was sure wrong about my impression.

I asked hubby if he would be interested in going. He said sure and headed for the internet to get the list. When presented with the list, I circled the places that I thought I might like to eat. We had eaten at many places on the list already, but I wanted to try something new. Hubby gave me his list and I showed him mine and we did have one in common. So off we went on a Saturday for the lunch menu sampling.

We ended up here... and we loved it. We will be going back in the near future. Hubby and decided when we got the menus that we would each pick something different from the menu so we could taste everything.

Here is what hubby ordered: Papa A La Huancaina:
It is boiled sliced potatoes covered with a Peruvian yellow pepper cream. The dish was simple as you can see but it really tasted good. There is a slice of a hard boiled egg on top of one of the potatoes. Then the black dot in the middle is a black olive. I didn't get a close look at it. By the time I asked what kind of olive that was, I was looking at the pit in hubby's hand. Too late...

Then he ordered Jalea De Pescado:
Deep fried fish served with lime marinated onions and tomatoes and Yucca


Since I got to taste this dish I can say it was pretty good. The fish was fried but not like any kind of fried fish I have ever eaten. It wasn't all greasy. The Yucca was good, according to hubby. I thought it was plantain and I passed. I am not found of food that looks like something that I really like and tastes like something else. Tonight when going over the menu, both of us realized it was Yucca. I am kicking myself for not tasting it.

I can't seem to get blogger to post anymore pictures so I will try and post what I ate in a few days. We had a wonderfully relaxing lunch on a very cold and windy day. Okay stay tuned for part 2

9 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

I'm intrigued by the Peruvian yellow pepper cream--is it made with yellow peppers? It sounds (and looks) soooooo good!

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that more and more people are learning about Peruvian food. The yellow sauce is made with ají amarillo which is now available in the US (depending on where you live) and also via the internet. The sauce for papa a la huancaína is not too difficult to improvise, I have a lot of links here, make sure to click on the last link (César's recipe).

Enjoy Peruvian!

Alejandro
Peru Food

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

HT-I have no idea what kind of peppers it's made of but if you follow the link from Alejandro you can find recipe links from there.

Alejandro, thanks for the link to your site. I read about what I was eating and it was very interesting reading. I think I am going to really love Peruvian food because of my love for Tex-Mex. I just seem to gravitate towards hispanic country's food. I don't think other than really spicy food, I have never met a dish that I haven't liked. You have a really informative site.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the first I've ever heard anything about Peruvian food. Fascinating! How's your son - still in the military? Mine's in Japan now. Kadena Air Base, Okinawa.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger ::Alejandro:: said...

Glad to help spread the word about Peruvian food....

Regards,

Alejandro

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Swati said...

I love your site, especially posts on Peruvian food. I just returned from a trip there myself two weeks ago.

Have you been able to check out my site at all? Any feedback or constructive criticism would be much appreciated! http://www.globalgluttononline.blogspot.com/

my contact information - mylavar@POST.HARVARD.EDU

best,
~Swati

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Swati, yes I did check out your site. You have a nice site. There is a place where you need to especially visit. That is Cooking Diva. She lives in Panama and has been to Peru. Take a look at her site. Her name is Melissa. She is a super person and a wonderful chef who does a lot on international cuisine.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard there is a new store camming up on the internet where we can buy peruvian food related products
www.PeruSuperMarket.com Lets see!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger MasterNutrition said...

I love Peruvian food. I heard there is a new store coming up on the internet where we can buy Peruvian food related products
www.PeruSuperMarket.com Lets see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home