The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Kentucky Fried Wanna-Be
I love fried chicken. I think I got my taste for it when I would go to my grandmother’s house and she fried it in a wonderful black cast iron skillet. That chicken would be perfect every time. I have two skillets of my own. One is for grill marks and the other is just a regular round skillet. I haven’t done too much frying in the round skillet but I gave it a run for its money last weekend.

Hubby went to the commissary and on the list was wings, family pack-please. I had it in my head that I would have him grill them outside. The weather has been really warm lately and it’s time to fire that bad boy up and get it going. Two weekends ago, we grilled pizzas. Too yummy.

I got home from work and decided that I really didn’t want to cook so I would have hubby fetch some KFC. NO money, so I had to cook. I decided that I wanted my wings both fried and BBQed. So I whipped out my skillet and tried to emulate my grandmother’s fried chicken.

I cut the wing tips off and made stock with them. I can’t waste any parts! Then, I put s&p on them, dipped them in a beaten egg, and dredged them in flour. A few minutes in the oil (about 20) and they were done. I did this cycle four times. It takes a while so no need to be in a hurry.


Once the chicken was fried, I put it on a paper towel to drain. I didn’t really care if it got cold, because I knew it was going to be dunked and then grilled.

Here is the finished product…..



The dunking...

Dinner!





Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason, I CANNOT make fried chicken. It just never tastes good. Always bland and I'm scared it won't cook all the way through. I just love Popeyes so I just go there.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I dearly love KFC. I suck at Fried Chicken but for some reason it turned out crispy and wonderfully. I didn't try any spices. I wanted to see if I could even fry in the cast iron skillet. I am going to try it again. I don't usually fry food here but I got courage from the way the wings turned out. I think there is a site where you can get a copycat KFC recipe for the chicken. I might stoop that low.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh, those look so yummy! & finishing them off on the grill - who needs KFC? I always seem to burn chicken when I try to fry it like that - I probably don't use enough oil...

Looking forward to seeing what you did with that chocolate :-) Did you see - they have dark chocolate M&M's for Easter - I bought three bags so I'd have extra for cookies. (like I need cookies - but, you know)

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina-I think that not having enough oil was my problem too. But I found out that if you have too much oil, then it foams and it's an unholy mess later. So I am still feeling my way around the cast iron issue, but it's been fun eating all the mistakes anyway.

I love Peanut M&Ms, milk chocolate or semi. I love dark chocolate more than milk chocolate ever since going to France in '01. I have not had time to do anything chocolate but hopefully soon. I have something special in mind; just have to find the time.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

My mother cooked her fried chicken in a heavy cast iron skillet too. She used to tell me that her secret was soaking the chicken in buttermilk... and her chicken was really great. I usually end up doing oven-fried that has been dipped in mediterranean yogurt and the in seasoned crumbs. Also, if you like KFC, get Penzey's Galena Street spice mix- it yields chicken that tastes much like the Colonel's own!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Deborah-thanks for such good information. I didn't even think about the buttermilk, duh! I use Penzeys for all my spices and will now the Galena Street rub to the list. I haven't used it in years but if it makes my fried chicken taste even better, I am all over it. Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home