The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My First Meme!
I was reading the posts on my blog and almost fainted when I saw that I got tagged for a Meme. It's my very first one and I am just like SoCalFoodie when I say I was giggling like a kid. I have read others but to be included well, I feel like it's a right of passage! Too wonderful.

1) Show us your kitchen ( a picture) and tell us what is it about this place that reflects your own personality.
This is the most used corner of the kitchen in my house. The appliance garage houses, the immersion blender, mini chopper, a Kitchen Aid mixer, toaster and a hand held beater. That door gets a work out. The food scale is always out to remind me to weight my food so I can continue to lose weight and remember what a "normal" portion size is. I like things out and handy to reach so there is a lot of organized clutter.

2) Open a cupboard (the one you feel to open), take a picture and tell us what we see.





These are items that get stored and used on a regular basis. I try not to keep to many canned items but sometimes you just can't be without them. I bought Tupperware back in the mid to late 80s and have used it ever since. It is square and modular so it stacks and stores nicely. They are pretty much see through so if you lose the sticky label you can guess what's on the inside (except for sugars).
These are the two shelves down from the last photo. I love my Splenda since I don't digest real sugar. I use the regular Splenda for my daily pots of tea and the baking Splenda blend for everything else. My pantry isn't very interesting, just cluttered!

3) Present us your favorite kitchen-based household appliance.
You would think that since I am a working chef I would pick some fancy piece of machinery but I love my toaster. I just open up the appliance garage and pull it out and plug it in. I use it 7 days a week. I wanted to put a second piece so see below.

This is the only other piece of kitchen equipment that I use every single day. I usually have two or more pots a day. This was purchased for a good price and it sure gets a work out!

4) Take out the ingredients you like the most, the ones you always keep stored. I love the fact that I can digest the Splenda. It has saved my coffee and tea habits. I changed my salt from table salt to Kosher and have never looked back. I keep a huge box of it both for my business and personal use. The black tin in the middle is my Harney and Sons tea. I love the Sun Dried tomatoes and my dried plums. Then there are the staples of Canola oil, Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.

5) My little steel friend: present us to your favorite cooking/baking recipient.

I don't have a lot of these things but I think who ever invented silicon baking anything is a genius. I hate scratched, rusted and dented baking pans. As soon as I can, there will be a round cake pan added to this. I already have 2 sizes of the silicon baking pan liners. I love them. So I think that's it for the Meme.


12 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger kitchenmage said...

that is one gorgeous teapot!

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I don't wear red but I make up for it in my kitchen appliances. I have a red Kitchen Aid, mini chopper, tea pot, toaster and Smoothie maker. I just love red appliances!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

What a fun post. I love the light blue on your walls--and the "appliance garage" has me LOL. Too cute! : )

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the exact same toaster and love it, as well!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Is it just silly that I love that toaster? I just love the fact that it can have a bagel that fits and doesn't get burned by being stuck!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

OHHH, I love that teapot! I bought one for my mom a few years back and have wanted one for myself ever since. I'm also jealous of the silicon supplies - I want those too, but have yet to start my collection. Hey, do you have any idea if tupperware will definintely keep out weevils? We (very unfortunately) just found out we've got 'em and I'm going to have to do some serious cleaning and re-organizing...yuck.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, I have two tea pots. One is silver and then there is the red one. I bought one (silver) in PA at a cute little kitchen store in the clearance area. I thought $40 was a steal considering I had been to Teavana in DC and they were $80. I was tickled pink. Then I found the red one this summer in Dallas at Le Gourmet Chef. They are a chain kitchen store that are usually in those Outlet strip malls. I got that one for $30. What a STEAL!

Tupperware does NOT keep weevils out. You have to freeze your flours and grains for 48 hours or more to kill them. What happens is (this is the gross part) their eggs are in the grains and flour already and then when the conditions are right, heat and moisture-the little buggers hatch and it's a buffet in your pantry. That's about all the Science I know. I will defer to the experts, but it's still gross. lol.

I love all the silicon stuff but they can melt and they do smell wicked bad when they do. Ask me how I know??

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Vicki, congrats on your first meme...good job! I want an appliance garage!! I didn't mention it before, but my food processor sits on top of my refrigerator, my Kitchen Aid is under my kitchen sink in a box, my hand blender is under the kitchen sink and my new immersion blender is returned to its box after each use and stored in the dining room! And of course, the dining room is not used for dining because we can't fit our dining room table in there!

Those tetsubin teapots are very cute...for those of your looking for an affordable way to get one, you should check at a local TJ Maxx or Marshalls...I see them there sometimes. Same for the silicon bakeware.

Which brings me to the big question...Vicki, how do you know what melting silicon smells like? Isn't it heat resistant up to like 500 degrees?

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I have two of those red square silicon pot holders. I had one on the top of a pot to remind myself that the handle was hot. This was on a gas stove. I got really busy and didn't notice that the pot holder had fallen off. It fell really close to the burner next to the pot. I had walked away and when I came back I smelled this funky smell. I looked in the oven and nothing was burning in there. So I turned and looked at the stove and sure enough I could see the pot holder laying on the stove next to a burner that was on. I picked it up and it was really hot and one whole side was now black. If I can find the pot holder I will take a picture and post it. So they do get hot if near a flame (duh) and they do get hot if used for a trivet. I think it warns you someplace on the tag. Most folks think they don't get hot, but they do.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind!

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vickie--

What a lovely kitchen! And your first meme! I just started my blog last week, so I can imagine the rite of passage you're talking about. You mentioned the silicone accessories you bake with...I was wondering if you have tried the silicone cupcake liner thingies? They called out to me at Sur La Table, with their cute pastel colors, but my friend said they're a pain to clean and work with...?

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

First, let me say congrats on starting your blog. It has been so much fun but it you take pictures of your dinner; it will be cold food by the time you get your best shot! Thankfully my hubby is getting into this whole taking picture thing. I will look forward to checking out your blog.

No, I haven't tried the little cupcake liners although I have seen them in Sur. If you get them be sure to come back and tell me if they are really a pan to wash. I know that the two pans that I bought today say they are dishwasher friendly. I think the cupcakes ones might be flying all around the dishwasher. I think they might be a pain but then again who knows. I guess it all depends on how dedicated you are. I am a lazy baker so they might not work for me! lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home