The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Up for the challenge!
I was flipping through some other food blogs this am and found one (Seriously Good) that really made me laugh. After laughing in horror I decided to pick up the camera and do my thing! Below you will see my kitchen. I did wash the few dishes I had in the sink and wipe the crumbs off the what little counter space I have. We have lived in this house since 1993 and it has been the proverbial "money pit". I had a friend in culinary school who was a kitchen designer for a local boxed hardware store. He convinced me that we should rip out the old "builder grade" cabinets for something more wonderful. $4,000 later we had nice white washed cabinets, new counters, an under cabinet Lazy Susan and an applicance garage. Now, I am thrilled to have those old dark cabinets gone, but we made some really amateur mistakes. I was so excited about having two new items in the kitchen, that I hadn't thought about what kind of long term impact it would have on the over all convenience of cooking here.


First I hadn't thought about how much space the appliance "garage" would take up. I had so much more counter space before . It cut my counter space down by 1/3, but the storage space tripled. Usually that wouldn't be a problem but when you have a small kitchen to begin with it's a HUGE issue. The second mistake we made again involves that same corner of the kitchen. When we opted for the Lazy Susan, we gave up two drawers; TWO. So now I have one very skinny drawer on one side of the stove and a large one on the other. That's it! I got so excited about the applicance garage and the Lazy Susan I didn't give any thoughts about losing drawer space. So...we had to buy a rolling cart to put in the middle of the kitchen that had two drawers in it and an expandable work surface. Thank goodness we found the moveable island. It has been the best investment in the kitchen since remodeling. I can knead bread on it, do pastry and unload groceries. The next time we remodel, I will be sure to insist on having more than two drawers! Live and learn!

I enjoyed looking at all the other kitchens. I see that I am operating in the same amount of space as everyone else. Well, they say good things come in small packages. This example could be the very thing they are talking about!

7 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Vickie,

Good looking kitchen.

I've never seen much good in appliance garages. I'd rather have such equipment out on the counter.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Kevin, thanks for doing this kitchen peak thing. It has been fun! I went to your site and checked you out. I didn't know that you were a USPCA chef. That makes four of us now that I know that are bloggers. I added your blog and your PC site to my links.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Looks like a nice kitchen... though I couldn't live with two drawers either! Maybe I'll follow your lead and post mine!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Post it! I am dying to see where you do all your creating!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vickie, your kitchen is beautiful! I am tempted to show you my kitchen :) but, I do not know if you know, I live in a 80 yo historic building! do not espect anything modern :)

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SORRY,...expect, right?

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Who cares if it's modern?? I like older homes, they have character and history. Come on post it! Be brave! lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home