The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, October 17, 2005


How I Spent My Weekend-Part 2
Besides, driving to DC to teach the ServSafe class, my local Chapter decided to attend the Town Point Virginia Wine Festival. We had a great time tasting wines, eating, people watching and visiting. The weather was very sunny but a bit blustery for my taste. The black flies didn't seem challenged when they heard what the menu was!

Early Sunday morning I made food for the wine tasting. I wanted to do something that wasn't the "norm" for me. So I made a HUGE wheel of Brie baked in puff pastry with an Apricot and Rosemary Chutney and a Smoked Salmon Mousse. I also brought two sliced up apples, a bunch of red grapes, a tin of huge whole wheat crackers, a spare container of the Apricot Chutney and a baguette of bread I brushed with olive oil and baked in the oven. I loaded everything into this really great picnic basket I bought in New Hampshire last year while on vacation. This was my second time getting to use it, so I was really excited.
This picture is of the wheel of Brie and the Apricot and Rosemary Chutney on top. After this picture was taken, a second piece of puff pastry was put on top and pinched all the way around. I brushed the whole wheel with egg and popped it into a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. Then it happened; that familiar smell. Oh, no something was burning! Not again. First that chicken, now this???? UGH. I opened the oven and started to laugh only because I wanted to CRY. My pastry had two blow outs and cheese was oozing everywhere. It looked like the devil. I can sit here and laugh now, but believe me seeing that $40 piece of cheese dripping over the side of the sheet pan was not funny by any stretch of the imagination! I took the wheel out of the oven and let it cool. Since it was too big to take to the Festival I cut two wedges and put them into containers and the reminder went into the refrigerator. Sadly, it is still sitting there and I have no idea how to use up the rest of it. The Smoked Salmon Mousse and Apricot Chutney turned out much better than the Brie, thankfully! Everyone loved it and we ate well.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home