The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Butter beans/Lima beans?
I had to drive 45 minutes from the house today to work. There is this really great Farm Market store called Bennett's Creek Farm Market. I got introduced to this place by a former Personal Chef, Jackie. I hadn't been there in over a year until this client hired me. I drove out there and found the market all over again. Now when I drive home every other week, I have to stop there and buy something, anything. My car just knows where to go and it does. Today I was really thirsty and had to get something to drink for the 45 minute drive back home. I don't usually drink soda but it sounded really good to me for some reason. As I was about to fill up my cup near the open refrigerator display case, I saw the sign, "Butter Beans, Freshly Shelled". There were rows of little plump clear plastic bags all neatly lined up. Each bag had about a pound in it. You could see the small pale green beans inside the bags.
Inside my head I could hear all of you saying, "Buy local produce in season". So knowing that all of you are much more informed than I am about this seasonal stuff, I did as you told me ; I bought them! Right now as I sit here and type, they are in an All-Clad pot with two thick slices of bacon and one medium sized onion simmering away. Being the dutiful wife that I am, I had to call the hubby and tell him what I bought. His excitement was a bit more scaled down than mine, until I said, "I will make them for dinner tonight". Yeehaw. If you knew my husband's temperment you would know his excitement meter about my food finds peaks at a 3 on a scale of 10. One of these days I am going to peg him out at 7 and then die happy.

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha Ha Ha - My loving boyfriend measures maybe a 1 on my food excitement scale, while I'd have to say I top out at around a 50 :) I hope they're delicious! I haven't seen fresh ones around here - good for you for going local AND in season!! I bet if you did a taste test of canned limas and your fresh butter beans your hubby might be a bit more excited about your food find!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, I am really trying to get the hang of it! I checked the internet and the closet CSA from me is 246 miles away. So I will just have to do the local Farmer's Market. I won't eat canned vegetables. I haven't eaten them in years but I so still do some canned tomatoes. Since I have a lot of high blood pressure and Diabetis in my family, I try to be careful. I am not always successful, but I do try.

Maybe we have enough enthusiasm for both our partners so they figure they don't have to use the energy? My husband is half Yankee and half Southerner (Texan) and I am a native Texan. So you can see what I am dealing with here! lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home