The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, October 06, 2005


In the Pink
I was looking at some other blogs earlier this week and found one that I really thought was such a great idea. I have been working on that challenge all week. I found this challenge at la dolce vita and wanted to enter my Pink contribution. I have had this recipe for a few years when I first found it in Cooking Light magazine. I used it in the orginial form several times to some great reviews by my clients. So I thought that this would be an easy recipe to alter for the Pink food challenge. So here is my entry. I so enjoy showing the process of making things so there will a lot of photos here. Please scroll down through the process so you can see it from beginning to end...no peaking before it's time! The first thing that I did was to beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Since I chose this recipe for the possibility of being PINK I added some food color on a tooth pick to the egg whites. When I did this, I wasn't exactly sure if the pink would show up. I took this picture to show you the contrast between the red Kitchen Aid and the pink. Then I took a piece of parchment paper and drew little circles to fit the size of the pan. I loaded the pastry bag with a star tip and then piped around the circles filling in as tighly as I could. Then I pipped up around the outside of each circle to make a low sided cup as shown on the sheet pan photo.
Then it bakes in the oven for 90 minutes or so. Since I made smaller circles than the recipe called for I did set the timer for 60 minutes and then test them and decided to go the full 90. After the meringues rested in the turned off oven for 30 minutes, I took them out and put them all into a zip lock bag. I tried this last week and went to bed with the sheet pan sitting on the counter. When I woke up the next morning and tested them, they were soggy. So put them in a zip lock bag right away. You can even assure that nothing happens and wrap them in foil, then put them in the plastic bag. Either way, you can't leave them out over night or even for just a few hours or they get really soft. I had so much meringue left over that I made little star cookies too. Then I made the filling and spooned that into the little cups and topped them with the berry mixture.
This is a dessert that is meant to eat the moment you spoon the berries on top. The juice will soak into the bottoms and they get soggy. So if you use the recipe for a party, you can do the meringues in advance and assemble and eat on the spot. Meringues with Fresh Strawberry and Chocolate Mascarpone
Cooking Light magazine
2 large egg whites (room temperature)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TBS sugar
1 TBS cocoa powder, unsweetened
6 TBS Mascarpone cheese, softened (or about 3 ounces)
1 tsp milk, nonfat
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups strawberries, fresh, about 1 1/2 quarts quartered
1/4 cup sugar
Directions:P
Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
Cover baking sheet with parchment paper and draw 6 4 inch circles on paper. Turn paper over, secure with masking tape. Place egg whites and cream of tarter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 TBS at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat). Divide egg white mixture evenly among the 6 drawn circles on baking sheet; spread to fill circles using the back of the spoon.
Bake at 225 for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off; cool meringues in closed oven for 30 minutes. Carefully remove meringues from paper. Cool completely.
To prepare chocolate mascarpone, sift together 1 1/2 TBS sugar and cocoa. Combine, mascarpone, milk and vanilla in a small bowl; stir just until combined. Stir in cocoa mixture.
To prepare berries; toss 1/4 cup sugar and let stand 15 minutes.
Place 1 meringue on each of 6 plates; spread about 1 1/2 TBS of mascapone mixture on top of each meringue. Top each serving with about 1/2 cup strawberries mixture. Garnish with mint spriges.
Yield: 6 servings.

8 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vickie! They are so beatiful and delicate--ohhh, congratulations! I am still undecided about what to prepare :) Will keep you posted. HUgs!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

ohhhh - those meringues look yummy! and so pretty in pink! too bad mine little mousse creations ended up brown!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Yeah, but you do have to post the bean mousse recipe. I have never heard of such a thing so I am really excited about trying them.

Rhubarb Schnapps looked pretty interesting too. I will to see what you have to say about it in 6 weeks. That will be a good blog!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Hi Vickie!

My goodness, these are beautiful! I'm always so impressed by people who take the time to make little nests for their desserts - it always looks so professional! Just as directed, I didn't cheat...and the last picture was a good reward for my patience - it's making me hungry!

Thanks for participating!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Robyn said...

What beautiful pavlova! It is one of my favorite desserts! Beautiful, just beautiful.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Honestly, Chronicler, I had no idea that was the name of the dessert. I tried it on a much larger scale (using the outline of a dinner plate) and it turned out nicely in white with fresh strawberries and blueberries. I wish I had the fresh fruit when I made the pink ones. The meringue was so good. I ate all those little stars I made with my tea everyday until the whole bag was gone. How bad is that? NOT! They were just yummy! LOL, and my hips and thighs will tell you so. lol!

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Wow, what a gorgeous looking dessert. The meringue is stunning!!!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Thanks, and it was fun and extremely easy to make! I would do it again but this time wrap up the left overs. Coming down the next morning to soggy meringues did not make me a happy camper, but I learned a lesson so all was not lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home