The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, October 17, 2005

How I Spent My Weekend-Part 1
I have never been much of a Science person but got more interested in the Science part of my industry when I took a food sanitation class while attending Johnson & Wales University in 1996. I really was not thrilled about having to take this class but it was required. Once I took the class I realized how important this class was to me personally and for my culinary career. I think it has improved my practices at home and then that carried over to the homes of my clients.

I grew up in the 60s and my father was in the military. I remember going to the commissary and loading carts with bread, milk, meat and other misc. items. We had a regular refrigerator at home as well as a second freezer. That second freezer was full of various items from the trip to the commissary. I never really gave it much thought about what had been frozen and how it had to be thawed in order for us to eat or drink it.

I always remember a rock hard frozen package of hamburger sitting on the counter or in the sink for endless hours to thaw before it was cooked in the evening. Paper half gallon containers followed suit in the sink. Most of my adult life I practiced what I had seen as a kid growing up. However, after taking the ServSafe class offered by the NRAEF (National Restaurant Assoc. Educational Foundation, this learned behavior has been through some mightly big changes. I still freeze milk, cheese, butter and all kind of meats and vegetables, but their thawing processes have done an about face.

Since becoming a CPC (Certified Personal Chef) I realized how I could help others in the Personal Chef industry change their old habits and develop newer and safer practices when it comes to their personal habits as well as their cooking habit for their clients. I have taken the ServSafe test three different times over the last 9 years but the last time was the keeper. I took the test to become a Certifed ServSafe Instructor. I have the privledge of teaching other Personal Chefs and I can see that some of this information is news to them as it was to me when I took the class the very first time.

I spent this past Saturday (15th) doing an 8 hour class in the home of my friend John Bauhs. John is the President of the DC Chapter of USPCA. I offered both the Maryland and DC Chapters a chance to take the class this past Saturday. There was a class of 7. I would like to say how proud I am of the group for showing the willingness to learn new habits that can prevent them from making mistakes in food sanitation.
Left to right bottom row: Jerree, Roberto, John.
Left to right top row: Usha, Bobo, Cal and Lorraine.

I know you all did great! Thanks about caring for your families and clients by taking this class! You were a SUPER group.

3 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

Well after this I really want to know HOW I should thaw my frozen food! What about a short piece about the basics or are you too busy?

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Good morning Italy!! I think I can do that since I teach it! I will do a segment on thawing food. Stay tuned. Thanks for the great idea! I am never too busy for safe food techniques! Ever.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I'll keep my eye out for that info...

BTW, I'm tagging you for a kitchen meme...can't wait to see what a CPC's kitchen looks like!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home