The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Fish Tale
Since I work in a local chain grocery store and then shop on my days I work for my personal chef clients, hubby does our personal grocery shopping. He has been doing it for so many years I can't remember. We have a computer generated shopping list and we just check things off that we are out of and off he goes. The problem with that is...well he buys things that aren't on the list. A month ago he bought some Tilapia. I don't really like fish that much so it's just been sitting there taking up space where we could have MEAT! So I had to come up with an idea to get rid of the fish and actually like it when I fix it.

I know how much hubby loves going to San Diego on business and eating things there. He always comes home and tells me about what he eats and then he wants me to make it. I spend time looking for recipes on the net that sound like what he ate. So, I am thankful for the Food Network. This recipe is from their web site. It's easy and it tastes good.

Baja Fish Tacos
Serves 4-6
White Sauce
1 cup Mayo
1/4 cup milk
4 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp garlic salt

Mix all ingredients together and set aside

Fish Tacos
Oil
2 pkgs Tempura Batter Mix
1 can beer
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
24 ounces boneless cod, cut into 2-inch pieces
6 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 limes


Preheat fryer or deep pot halfway with oil to 375 degrees F.
Mix 1 of the packages of batter, but only use 1/2 the required amount of water and use beer for the remaining amount instead. Add the beer until the batter becomes almost like a heavy cream consistency.

Using the other package of batter-add salt and garlic powder, coat cod pieces with the dry mix, then dip into prepared batter. Deep fry for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.

Place fried cod pieces on warmed tortillas, add white sauce to fish, a little shredded cabbage and a squeeze of lime to taste.

Chef Notes:
I really didn't want to fry fish. So we just grilled the fish and added some lime juice, salt and pepper. We didn't have cod but used Tilapia instead. I did use everything else the recipe called for. Here is the end result.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Beautiful! Now that it's getting warmer I've been wanting to try and make fish tacos. The concept always turned me off, but I tried one a few years ago in Houston and was hooked! They're so refreshing!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

Hola Vickie! your fish tacos look delicious---A great idea for a light dinner tonight :)

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Thanks! They are so easy to make. It's not hard to eat healthy when you find things like this. Are you getting excited about conference? I have not made my reservations yet, but hopefully soon.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - I love fish tacos! Although I must admit that I like my fish deep-fried. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll have to try this with the white sauce. Hope you and the little ones are well!

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed, I would love then fried too, but I have gained an unspeakable amount of weight that I lost two years ago and am not dieting, but trying to make better choices. I have lost 2 1/2 pounds. I have been reading your blog as I blow through here after working for 9 hours of my feet. Some how tired feet=numb feet and brain. lol!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you drop off the face of the earth?

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Leslie-I haven't but some times it feels like I have. I have been working 6 days a week at three different jobs. I am hoping that a teaching job that I got will kick in soon so some of these jobs can GO! I have thought about blogging but I don't anything of interest since working so many hours. No time to research. I am hoping that I can be faithful to both blogs soon. Thanks for checking on me.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Bobbisox said...

Living here in San Diego, we also put a fair amount of cilantro in our fish tacos; I came up with a way to put more flavor in the veggies that are so important. You chop or tear the cilantro, add it to the chopped and sliced cabbage, add a couple of teaspoons of white or red onion, minced fine, sprinkle all liberally with lime juice and refrigerate for an hour. The white sauce should have less mayo and some sour cream but if you prefer milk, please make it buttermilk for the tang. We like our fish grilled (California, don'cha know) but it is good fried if you are a person who like fried things. Bon Appetit.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Bobbisox-We didn't fry our fish either. We decided we didn't need it fried so we just grilled it. I liked it grilled just fine. We really didn't need the extra grease to be miserable with later anyway. lol! We aren't as young as we used to be.

I love cilantro so using extra is not a problem for me. I love CA food. My oldest son live in San Diego and I can't wait to go and visit them so I can eat my way through the city. Thanks for stopping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home