The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, April 09, 2007

A Chick with Sticks

A Chick with Sticks

I love to have things on the grill. It doesn't matter much to me where the inspiration of the grilled dish comes from as long as it ends up on my plate. I am not a picky eater. Nor am I a person who hates to have food touching on the plate. After all, where does it all end up? All mixed up in your belly.

A few weeks ago, the weather was in the 80s and I could hear the grill calling me. Okay, okay, I confess. It's easy on my if I prep the food and hubby does the grilling. I do quick sides while he is running in and out of the house checking the food. I get to sit down and knit. I love to knit so I am always looking for short cuts in my day so I will have more time to dedicate to knitting.

I have loads of cookbooks and some I use seasonly and others are dependable year round books. One would think this one would be a seasonal
cookbook, but I have found plenty of good recipes that are wonderful no matter what time of year it is.

One of my most favorite recipes is
Scallion Chicken Skewers. This is such an easy recipe that it's just silly. So here is one of the easiest recipes I know for year round grilling. The photo to the left is taken from the book itself.
Scallion Chicken Skewers
Serves 4
8-12 Thighs, skinned and boned, cut into 3-4 pieces each (chicken breast work perfectly well with this recipe too.)
About 12 schallions, cut into 1 inch pieces

Ginger Marinade
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 TBS ginger puree or grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup fish sauce or soy sauce (recipes says about 1/4 cup)
1 TBS sesame oil
1 TBS sesame seeds, toasted in a dry skillet
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS corn oil (I used canola)
24-36 wooden or banboo satay sticks, soaked in water for 30 minutes.

Thread 1 piece of chicken and 1 piece of scallion onto each skewer. Mix the marinade ingredients together in a flat, shallow dish. Add the skewers and turn to coat.

Cover and chill for 3 hours or overnight, turning in the marinade from time to time.

Light an outdoor grill or preheat a broiler. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until done.
Don't they look yummy? I took wanted to add more vegetables to our diet so I added some red bell peppers to the skewers. They gave the kabobs more color and eye appeal. Then I sauteed some bok choy and made some rice to round out the rest of the meal.

Dinner is served!

13 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh, those look yummy - they'd be good with prawns too, don't you think? and what a good way to get some extra vegies - I think my husband might even like that marinade..

I had fun finding places to "hide" my little "Easter eggs" - I have collected decorated eggs for about 20 years, but most of them are up on a dusty shelf - these were ones I could reach LOL -

I did make that Apricot Cream Coffee Cake off the Land of Lakes web site - it was really delicious! -(of course why would it not be with butter, eggs & cream cheese and apricot jam?) I'll post a picture & the recipe later this week - it was really easy too.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

My goodness! You and I just missed each other right here! How funny that you are on the other coast and we are doing the exact same thing at the same time.

I sent you an E mail about the cake.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Hmmm - no email yet? Did you send it to tinathomsenpark at hotmail dot com? T.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Tina-it bounced back. I opened up my mail this AM before going off to work and found that it had bounced back last night.

I can't wait to see the post about the coffee cake. My mechanic loves cake and he's been very good to me. So I like taking him treats! Always good to have a recipe that a blogger has already tested!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger s'kat said...

How funny! I just came back from a walk outside, and thought this would be the perfect day for grilling!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Hey! Can you grill my dinner too? Long day standing on my feet and I am too dead to cook. I need a Personal Chef! lol! Maybe a maid too.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ms. Vicky, I need a huge favor. I'm from Chesapeake and live in Texas. There's a phenomenon in Mexican restaurants in the Hamptons Roads area called white sauce. The stuff they serve with the chips and salsa. I need some. I'm desperate. Any chance you can track down a recipe for it?

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Leslie, my hubby and I have talked about that stuff a million times. I will go to Plaza Azteca and see if they will give it up. We think it's some kind of a seasoning packet mixed with buttermilk dressing, but we aren't exactly sure. I don't have days off from work until late next week, but I will dash by there and see what I can do. Where in Texas do you live?

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in San Antonio and I miss Plaza Azteca. I know real Mexican food lik you get in San Antonio is supposed to be superior to the fake stuff like in Va, but you can't get white sauce here. My husband and I used to go to the Plaza Azteca on Jefferson Ave. in Newport News wweekly (we lived in Hampton) and before I got married, my friends and I always went to the Plaza Azteca on Little Creek Road. I also miss the Rumanian Steak from Jimmy's steak house in the Providence Square shopping center. And I used to work at Kelly's Tavern and have yet to find a burger as good as the ones there. The Sodbuster burger is to die for. mmm.... Tastes of home....

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Leslie, we eat at the Plaza Azteca on Holland Road. They had a fire there last week so I am not sure they are open, but I will try and dash by there. I love burgers from
Kellys. One of my son's friends used to be the manager at the one off of Laskin Rd.

I know what it's like to miss the flavors of home. We really need to switch places! I would kill to be in Texas and I am sure you miss Chesapeake. Check back here and I will let you know what I find out about the white sauce.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you make it to plaza azteca? I will probably bug you until you manage to get a recipe for white sauce. if i get annoying, just tell me so I can be more annoying :)

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

No, I sorry I have not had a chance to swing by there. I am trying to increase my hours at work am a bit tangled up in that at the moment. I will get back to you as soon as I get over there. I will leave you a message here when and if they give something to me.

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Leslie-I finally got a day off where I could go to Plaza. I asked the General Manager and he said that the owner comes in and mixes the white sauce. He didn't know what was in it but would sell me some in a cup. I told him that you live in another state so thanks but that wasn't going to work. I thought it was sold by the gallon commerically and I could just ship it. Nope. So the only other thing that you could do is to call the places here yourself and see if they will tell you over the phone. I am sorry it took me so long to get your answer. I work two jobs so getting days off sometimes is a juggling act.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home