The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Knitting and Spinning...part 2
I tried last night to post all the knitting and spinning pictures but think that I went over my quota of pictures. Maybe it was the size? Anyway...here is the rest of what I tried to post last night.

I left off last night with a rather dark picture of a ball of roving. Here is the same ball sitting on my dining room table. The roving is spun on to the smaller bobbins. Then two of those bobbins are combined and spun into what most of us think of as yarn. The larger bobbin is the "plying" bobbin. I happen to have some plied yarn on this one pictured. Here are the fruits of my labor. The darkest one is from the ball of roving that I have shown before. The other three hanks are from the same ball of blonde roving. Each hank needs to have a tag on it reminding me of the yardage, weight, kind of sheep the wool came from and the date that I spun it. Knitting as well as cooking, has tools...okay toys that you need to get the job done. Here is my stash so far. My mother-in-law sent me a huge envelope with needles and do dads to get me started. So thus far I have only really paid for classes and some yarn. This is my very first finished piece from my first knitting class. Now this looks like a real sweater front, but looks are deceiving. It's a cotton dish cloth. The Knitting Corner where I took my lessons uses this as a beginner class to teach you the stockinette stitch, seed stitch, knitting, purling, cables, ribbing and decreasing. So I got a lot from the class. It's too bad someone isn't here with me right now to show you my bald spots where I ripped out my hair trying to get this perfect. Someone in the class suggested that I frame it so that years later I can look back and see where I started. ugh! Okay, now back to cooking.

4 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I love how home-spun wool looks - it's so beautiful. I'm very impressed! Have you tried dying any yourself yet? I have a friend here who dyes her own with plants and bugs! It sounds odd, but makes the most amazing natural colors. And that might just be the cutest little dishcloth I've ever seen! Pretty damn good for a "beginner"!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle-I am hopefully going to learn to dye with natual things in the spring. You really can't dye the brown roving but that blonde stuff will do nicely. I am hoping to dye it a mustard yellow. I am into that color these days. I have no idea why!

It that the cutest little dish cloth? Like I would get it wet and wipe something off with it...duh...and all that work for a dish cloth???? I just can't do it. And you too can learn how to knit!! It's not a expensive hobby if you start small. Of course I never start small.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Gorgeous Spinning!
You should be very proud of your dishcloth. It's adorable and your cables look great. :-)

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Honestly, I really don't have a clue what I am doing but it's been so much fun and such a learning experience. I can't wait to learn how to dye. The cables were much easier than I thought they would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home