The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006



Pesto Re-Visited
Back this past summer I did a blog entry on how to make Pesto (blog entry dated Friday, Sept. 30, 2005 ) then freeze it. I used an ice cube tray to freeze my Pesto. After it was completely frozen, I popped out the little green cubes and put them into a freezer bag. I had honestly forgotten about them until the other day when I was digging around in our second refrigerator and found the bag. I needed a quick idea right before payday to make for dinner so I used my Pesto cubes.

I took 2 TBS of butter and melted them in the skillet. I added 2 TBS all-purpose flour so that I could make a Roux. A roux is 50% fat and 50% flour. The fat in a roux can be canola oil, olive oil, bacon fat, or butter.


Since I wanted a creamy sauce, I used 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream (that is the smallest container they sell in the dairy section). Then I whisked it well...
and took my little frozen Pesto cubes and put them into the skillet. I had thought about thawing them but decided what the heck, let's see what happens. If nothing else, I could always have a salad from Wendy's if this fails. I whisked the Pesto cubes into the cream sauce until they melted. That did take a little bit of time because I had the stove down to medium low so I wouldn't burn the cream. Eventually the sauce turned a lovely shade of green. I diced up some boneless, skinless chicken breast and sprinkled them with some kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. I sauteed the chicken until it was almost done. I wanted to toss my Pesto Cream Sauce with some pasta so I used Fettuccine...and then it was dinner!

8 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Please come cook for me!! I'm totally drooling.
:-)

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha! I'm with elisabeth! Come cook for me! Please? That looks really, really yummy, and it's such a great way to save portions of pesto. Nice garnish again, too, by the way!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Melissa, I am really good at roux but haven't mastered the black one yet. It's a fine line between blackened and flat out burnt! lol! I will get it one to these days. I really suck at Hollandaise sauce! Can't have everything!

Elisabeth, can we trade wool for food? lol! My daughter-in-law lives in West Bend, WI. When I go for a visit I can come and cook for some fleece! Such a deal!!

Michelle-I love to play with garnishing but I don't get to use it very often. Most of my clients could care less! What a shame...lol

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Mona said...

That looks so good! Oh my, pasta with pesto is my absolute favorite. Then comes penne a la vodka. Have that recipe up your sleeve? :)

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Mona, thanks! I love Pesto but not just basil pesto. I dearly love Sun Dried Tomato pesto too. I have even tried a Cilantro Pesto with Walnuts. I wasn't so crazy about that one but had to try it.

No, I have never done Penne a la Vodka but bought a jarred sauce like that from Trader Joe's that is sitting in the pantry. I am sure nothing beats homemade though, but sometimes you need a short cut!!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Thanks, I will just give the entry date so they can click on the month.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing the step by step.

Isn't it great when you find a treasure hidden in the back of the freezer or fridge?

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Thanks Ruth! That's really a compliment coming from you. I just love showing the whole process because so many people are afraid that their recipe doesn't look like yours or they have to have a recipe to do everything. And yes, I love finding things in the freezer and then using them up...to make room for more things to get forgotten. LOL!

Melissa, thanks so much for mentioning me on the Global Voices!

Michelle-when I finally get to come to OR I will have to cook for you, and then you can bake me a cake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home