The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Watching Weight Oriental Style
I can’t say that I am LOVE Chinese food but it’s good and it is one of the easiest cuisines to make healthy I have ever cooked. How easy are a few teaspoons of a good quality of oil in a very hot pan with cut up veggies? These days you don’t even have to take the time to cut up the veggies. There are so many different kinds of vegetables that are already sold shredded or cut up. You can even go into some grocery stores and use the salad bar vegetables instead of cutting up things for yourself. I used to think that only super lazy people cruise the salad bar for what they were going to create at home, until I had to use cut up broccoli. The lack whole heads of broccoli in the produce section of my local store had to give way for me to be creative. I quickly found value in that salad bar. Eating crow sticks in my craw!

Eating out is off the table for this month so I had to actually plan ahead and cook dinner. Since I am trying to eat healthier, I whipped out my Weight Watchers Flex Points cookbook. I found two recipes that tripped my trigger at that moment and dashed out to the Asian Market to gather up supplies. I got to do one stop shopping this time. I do love not hopping from store to store at $2.27 a gallon for gas. Here is what was for dinner last night. We will be eating leftovers tonight. I have to work today and know that I will not feel like cooking.
Stir-Fried Sesame Bok Choy-Serves 4
1 tsp Asian sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 1/2 pounds baby bok choy, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 TBS reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sugar (not really necessary)
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame seeds


Stir-Fried Shrimp and Vegetables-Serves 6
1 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS reduced sodium soy sauce
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 TBS finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 TBS Asian sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS sesame seeds
5 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cups cooked brown rice.

3 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Nice presentation! Now how do you do that? Is that the bottom of the bok choy or a cucumber that you waved your magic knife over and turned into a flower? It's purty! You're my inspiration for healthier cooking. Minus the cake I will be posting soon that had 3 lbs of butter in it *sheepish grin*...but at least I'm not eating more than a tiny peice thanks to my book club, which i do not plan on indulging the uh, calorie information to. But hopefully it will turn out pretty...I'm putting it together today. My first cake with frosting (don't worry, no flowers!)! Adoreable doggies, by the way!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, the jig is up. It's the bottom of the baby bok choy. After I cut them off I noticed that they looked like little flowers and I didn't have to work hard for that one! So on they went. I threw them on to take up the blank space on the plate. It worked, photographed nicely and I ate all of it. I still managed to lose 3 1/2 pounds this week. Yeah, me and that stinking treadmill. UGH!

Thanks about the babies. I just love them! They are bad housebreakers but you gotta love 'em anyway!

I can't wait to see a cake with three pounds of butter. Yum, yum. Be sure and post it, with a slice missing so we can see the inside.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha! The jig may be up, my svelt and quickly slimming friend, but just because it's readily available doesn't mean that just anyone had the ingenuity to use it!

I didn't get to cut the cake and take the pic like that, I should have, but I did cut a slice while I was at work to take a better picture - the light is just awful at my house with all of this rain and darkness outside!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home