The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Culinary Challenges for 2006
I have been putting off working on my blog entries for 2006 because I have been thinking about how I would like to see this year evolve for my culinary life. I have been professionally cooking as a Personal Chef since 1997 and think sadly, I have not expanded my horizons often enough. I know that some of you that come here to read my blog have already accomplished far more than I have and may find this list on the amusing side. Yes, I went to culinary school but not every chef is an expert in every field in cooking. Okay, now that I have confessed that I lack in certain area of my culinary education I can move on. Which brings me to my list. I was thinking all during my Christmas vacation that I needed to make a list of things that either I do poorly or not at all. So here is the list so far. This list will be ever evolving so stay tuned. As soon as I accomplish one I would like to replace it with another challenge. So here is the list as of today...

1. Tamales-Dawn at So Cal Foodie inspired this. She sent me a lovely gift over the holidays and I want to show her that I used her thoughtful gift. Enclosed in the envelope was a really cute little gingerbread man. He has a little string hanging from him and you pull the string and his arms and legs move in unision. Also there was a little gingerbread cookie cutter. I love cookie cutters and have a huge drawer full of them. Last but not lest there was a small bag of dried Chilie peppers and a recipe for homemade tamales. I am a native Texan and sadly can't make homemade tortillas or tamales.
2. Souffle-I watched someone in culinary school make a carrot souffle once and want to learn how to do this. I doubt it will be something that I will fix on a regular basis but I think it's a challange that I can rise too. Yes, the pun was intended! lol!
3. Fish-Now, this is a really broad category but I seldom eat fish. I know it's a healthy source of protein that I need to eat at least once a week, so I am going to try different fishes. I am not fond of Salmon but will suck it up and give it a try again.
4. Bread-another broad category. I love to bake bread. I am not very good at it and have gotten away from it. I will sell the bread machine in a yard sale this year to insure no back sliding to the easy way of doing things.
5. Homemade Pasta-I bought this wonderful hand crank pasta machine while at a conference and have used it a sum total of three times. I love pasta but don't have a clue how to do it. So I would love to try and experiment with different types.
6. Creme Brulee and Flan-Since I am lactose intolerant I don't usually eat this kind of thing. For me it's a painful food, but I would love to learn how to do them and do them well. Plus my mother bought me a little Creme Brulee set for Christmas and if she ever reads this blog, she will know that I appreciate the gift and it will be used.

So there is my little list. I hope that others of you will feel inspired to try new things that scare you but delight you at the same time. What is that saying, "It's not the destination, but the journey". So I am going to try to make 2006 a more exciting journey for myself and for those who come to read my blog.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

Yes I will make 2006 a year when I dare to do the things I hitherto haven't dared to challenge myself with and I will NOT give up after one try if it all flunks out! Thanks Vickie for pushing me! And pasta is simple to make, you won't have any problems!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ilva, I am very pleased that you will try new things. I have gotten a bit lazy about trying new things when it comes to cooking. So I thought since it's a new year, it was time to try new things. I have some other ideas but will attack them at a later date.

You promise that pasta is easy to make? If I fail can I count on you to teach me? I could come right over! lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home