The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Chunky Winter Love!
I know, I know...more soup, but it's COLD here and I want warm things that give me comfort. When I was a kid I thought the only way you could get stew was from a big red can. We all know the national brand I am speaking of. My mom made great stew later in my life and I learned how she did it and now I have honed my own skills at making a simple beef stew.

I took stew meat and tossed it with some all-purpose flour along with some salt and pepper. Then about 1/4 cup of Canola oil went into the stock pot and was heated up. The stew meat was then browned on all sides until it stuck to the bottom of the pot. I used a slotted spoon to get the meat out and put in a bowl on the side for later use. I cut up one onion and three stalks of celery and then the combination went into the left over oil from browning the beef. Once the onions and celery had wilted, I poured in about 1 cup of left over red wine from the refrigerator. The other night it was a bottle of Dunnemore Merlot, which I didn't drink. While the meat was browning I also took four potatoes and cut them up in chunks. I like to leave the skin on all my potatoes, no matter what kind they are. There are so many more benefits to leaving the skins on than to peel them off and trash all those vitamins. Leaving the skins on give an added benefit of color and texture. I chunked up three carrots. After the meat, onions and celery are all cooked, the Merlot was dumped in and once it started to come to a slight bubbly state, I took a wooden spoon and scraped the bottom of the pot. That brown stuff on the bottom adds so much flavor to the stew. The French call it fond. After everything reduced a bit, I dumped in three cups of beef broth, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and 5 small bay leaves.

The rest is just time. I covered the pot with a lid and brought the stew up to a boil, then reduced the heat and walked away. I think the total cooking time was about 2 hours. I tested a piece of meat to be sure that it was fork tender and it was good to go!

3 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

MMM...I love beef stew. Yours looks mighty tasty and I full-on endorse an all comfort food diet with many soups in a row when it's chilly outside.

You're not talking about Dinty Moore in the big red can are you? We ate a lot of Dinty Moore when I was growing up, only we called it "Beef barf" because of the way it looked when it came out of the can. :) Ooops...maybe I shouldn't say that now that you're famous and there will be new people reading! (Congratulations on the write up!) But now that I'm grown and have a far more "sophisticated" palette, I'm glad to know that beef stew doesn't only come from Dinty Moore!

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I grew up eating Dinty Moore back in the 60s and then my mom stop buying it and made beef stew on her own. I don't think I have had it in years. I like freshly cooked beef stew much better than canned and that goes for pretty much any kind of food. I don't have alot of canned foods in the house and when it's hurricane season here, that's not good.

Famous? HA! If only that article would drive more traffic to the site or inspire others to get sites that would great.

How's the weather in Eugene today? We are getting tons of rain while DC is getting ice and freezing rain. Great day to stay home and cook and bake cookies!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Vickie!
Well, in my book, you're famous! I never thought about the danger of having canned goods in the house - that's crazy! And scary! It's been freezing here because the gray cloud cover that usually takes over the sky all winter and rains on us has decided to vacate for a while, which means there's nothing to hold the 'warmth' in - so it frosts at night and stays that way all day long! But the sunshine is welcome, even if it's colder than it would be!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home