The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, November 14, 2005








Thanksgiving Has Come and Gone...
I look forward to Thanksgiving every year for so many reasons. I have a small family and until recently we all were able to be together for every holiday. When you have two children in the military every moment that you spend together is a treasured one. My oldest son is stationed in Korea and the youngest in Iraq. Since my youngest son was able to come home for a two week R&R leave, I decided that Thanksgiving was going to be when we decided. I asked my son what he wanted and he said to keep it simple and I am all about simple! So that request was an easy one. Saturday morning I got up and started getting things ready. Knowing I would be cooking a 13 pound turkey, I had moved the turkey from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw. It was still a bit icy in the middle when I cut the plastic off of it but nothing too serious. I rinsed the turkey off with some cold water and that took care of the ice. I had seen How to Boil Water right before I got up to take the turkey out and wanted to try something different. I had some fresh sage and rosemary in the front garden and that would be perfect for the turkey. I cut off a few sticks of rosemary and two handfuls of sage and rinsed them off. I took my fingers and ran them underneath the skin of the turkey. Then I took the sage leaves and put them in the space between the breasts and the skin. I had already cut up some carrots, onions, celery and the celery leaves and put them into the roasting pan. When it was finished roasting, there was a mild flavor of sage and rosemary. My son loves and I do mean LOVES sweet potatoes with toasted marshmallows on top. So I take fresh sweet potatoes and peeled them. Then cut them into good sized chunks and put them into a casserole dish. I cut up a whole stick of butter and sprinkled the pieces on the top along with one or two healthy hand fulls of brown sugar and sometimes a swing of orange juice. The dish is covered in foil and baked until the potatoes are soft. When the potatoes are cooked I take them out and right before we eat, I turn up the oven to 400. The marshmallows (mini or large) are spread on top and the dish is put into the oven. I turn on the oven light so I can make sure I don't burn the marshmallows. It doesn't take long. When they come out they a nice brown and the top is crunchy. It's a very sweet dish and we eat four times a year-New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving and Christmas. What can I say?? My kid still loves Green Bean Casserole with mushroom soup and Durkee Onions. I offer to do Garlic Green Beans, but got a thumb's down. Drats! I at least opted for making one thing from scratch. I made my husband's grandmother's pie crust. It is supposed to make five crusts but I only usually do four since I like my crust a little thicker. I made one pumpkin and one pecan pie. If the whole family was here there would be two of each and none would be left over. A friend of mine mentioned something about a whipped cream with some flavorings in it so I made "real" whipped cream with sugar and cinnamon. It was really good with the pumpkin, but added nothing to the pecan. Live an learn. So Thanksgiving has come and gone and I am now working on how to eat all the turkey left overs. Last night I made the Turkey Curry Salad for sandwiches and tonight is Turkey Enchiladas. I will write about them on Thursday.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and spends it with lots of friends and family, love, laughter and really good food.

10 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

Aww, I'm so happy he was able to come home for a little holiday time. Very handsome!

And honey, if that's 'simple', I'd hate to see you put yourself out, lol!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

All of that food sounds great. I bet your son loved it! I'm glad to see you made a pecan pie, too. Pumpkin's ok, but pecan is one of my favorites! I know this should go on my 'I confess' blog, but I've never made a turkey! I guess we're always happy to get a Honeybaked ham. I'll get that cookie exchange blog up today. As soon as you see, you have my blessing to spread it around!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

S'Kat, I was happy to see him but really not thrilled he had to go back. I am hoping that when he comes home that being over there hasn't stalled his plans for his life and finishing his schooling.

I had a great time making the dinner that he wanted but I would have loved to throw some new things in there, but another time. We are going out to eat Sushi on Thanksgiving because I am not doing all that again. Well...maybe the Pecan Pie.

SoCal-Pecan is by FAR my hands down favorite holiday pie. I used to have to help pick the pecan from my grandmother's trees. It really made me appreciate the pie even more. I am not so good at the Turkey, but it wasn't dry and burned on the drum tips so I think it was passable. Besides, Martha Stewart, I am not. lol! I think we did a HoneyBaked for Easter one year while I was a full time student. Didn't have time to do the whole dinner so we ordered a half ham. It sure was good.

The Cookie Exchange looks wonderful. I will promote it on my site.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Vickie!
Well, if I was only single...he's cute! He obviously got some of your genes! Your thanksgiving sounds great (I love pecan pies sooooo much...and I'm impressed that you used to pick them off of the tree!) and makes me miss having it with my family. These days, it's all friends just getting together and so far, I've almost burned the house down and to WAY too big a turkey. And I'll always be a sucker for good old green bean casserole - I would have voted for it too! :)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

How wonderful your son could come home for a visit! Where in Korea is your older son? My brother is at Osan AFB. He's been in Korea for about a year now & I miss him so much.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, he's a bit too young for you. Hang with LB. I think he's a good choice! When I said I picked pecans, should have said shelled them. They have this huge machine that shakes the tree and the pecans fall onto a drop cloth or even a net. We just picked them up off the ground.

Elisabeth, I am not really sure where my oldest is stationed. I just talk to him via IM and E mails. We don't talk too much about his job just his wife and our family. Last time I think he said he was at Camp Red Cloud, where ever that is. This is his second trip to Korea. His wife is not thrilled. I am sure that your brother misses his sister too. Even my sons talk about missing each other. I thought the way they pounded on each other they hated one another! I sure got that one wrong.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - You must be so proud of your sons. I'm glad that you were able to celebrate the holiday together. And I agree with y'all that a holiday can be any time that you decide it to be. Your Thanksgiving feast sounded delicious. I actually have a break from my cooking duties this year. My mother-in-law-to-be is hosting dinner this year, and she is an AMAZING cook.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed, you are so lucky! My MIL lives in Texas and so there is no break for holidays here. I am IT every single time. We always consider going out but what about hot turkey sandwiches the next day or even the last slice of pumpkin pie? So we always stay here and eat at home. Hope Zoe will get a turkey nibble! Have a wonderful holiday!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

Vicky-sorry I haven't read this earlier but I'm having some health problems right now. Antway, I just wanted to say that I'm happy you had a nice thanksgiving. It must be very difficult to have your sons so far away and especially in Iraq.
I'll try to be more constant in my blog reading!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Listen, here, you just concentrate of getting well. Nothing is worse than not feeling up to par. So you don't worry about not reading the blog, just get better so you can keep taking those lovely pictures that you do. I have been behind on posting because I have been crocheting lately. So we all have lives outside blogging. Feel better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home