The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Baja Bean Co. in VA
Our very first meal while on vacation was not a hard choice. We went to downtown Staunton and walked around about 15-20 minutes when I spied the Baja Bean Co. I was tickled pink because I am from Texas and love my TexMex and Southwestern style food. We ate in the early afternoon, after the lunch crowd and before the dinner bunch. We were the only ones in the place for the longest time. I am such a push over for anything that involves beans and rice. So this was the perfect place to start our vacation. I made a mental vow not to eat any national chain restaurants while on vacation and to try and eat someplace different for every meal. Checking out the menu made my mouth water. I was hungry but I wanted to eat something that I had never eaten before. I will eat most anything so I am pretty easy to please. For my entree I had Enchiladas Popeye. This was two flour tortillas filled with fresh spinach (and it was very fresh!), monterey jack cheese and salsa topped with a tangy verde sauce and more cheese. This was also served with Baja Rice and Black Beans. The picture does not do the food justice but you can take my word for it; it was yummy. The portion size was more than I could eat and sadly I had to leave some beans and rice on the plate when it was cleared away. Since I am nuts about guacamole, I had to have a side dish of it. I could tell that the guacamole was not from a 5 gallon bucket that had been over pureed. This was fresh guacamole and it had chunks, which is very good from my point of view. Hubby agreed that the guacamole was good. I am not sure being married to someone who is not a picky eater is a good thing or not. Hubby always orders something with seafood in a Mexican restaurant. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. To me that's like eating chicken in a place that is famous for their steaks. Never-the-less he indulged his need for seafood when he ordered Enchiladas Jardin. This was two tortillas with shrimp in a garlic artichoke heart spinach cream cheese sauce and it was topped with a mild Ancho Chili red sauce along with Baja rice and grilled vegetables. I got a taste of the Ancho Chili sauce and it was fabulous. It has a really slightly spicy smokey flavor. I would prefer to have this red sauce on my Enchiladas than some plain red sauces I have eaten lately. I thought that the portions were generous and the food was good. It wasn't TexMex but instead California Mexican Baja. I wish we had eaten there more than once so I could gauge if the rest of their menu was as good as the two entrees that we ordered. I have a feeling it was. So this will require more research at a later date!

7 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

MMMM...I love TexMex, Baja, Mexican and anything else that contains cheese, meat, rice, beans, and cilantro! Yummy! Sounds like a really great place. I haven't gotten up the nerve to take pictures at a restaurant yet, you're a brave woman!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

And HAPPY HALLOWEEN to your family!!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Happy Halloween to you too! I am glad that you are alive and well. I was beginning to wonder!

I did ask before I took the pictures. I had read on someone else's blog that some places didn't want you to take pictures in their restaurant. So I remembered that and I did ask. They were happy for me to do it and mention them on the blog.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Tex-Mex rocks! I had no idea you were from Texas. I grew up down in Houston. Enjoy the rest of your vacation! Who's watching the little ones while you are away?

Ed

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Deetsa said...

Don't think that the picture didn't do the food justice. My mouth watered just at the sight of these dishes. I don't think we have that restaurant in Canada and I don't even know if we have a decent Texmex restaurant in Western Canada. All I've ever encountered are fast food Mex places like Taco Bell or Taco Don's. From the looks of what you got I'd say that wasn't even in the same league.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

This was a different kind of food than we are used to eating here where we live. I really enjoyed the difference and now I will be on the hunt here to find something different. We have a favorite place, Plaza Azteca that we love but just like most other Mexican restaurants they are more an Americanized verison of "real" Mexican food. I think I need a trip to Mexico to gather up some recipes to bring back home. Rick Bayless does great cookbooks about authentic Mexican cooking. I have never tried the recipes, but they sound really good!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger s'kat said...

Spinach enchiladas, now that sounds quite lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home