The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Vacation alas!
I look forward to a vacation every year. For the last year or so we have been trying to take a scuba diving trip but my youngest son's pending trip to Iraq recked havoc with some well deserved time off. When hubby works 60 or more hours a week, vacations are the highlight of our year. Last year we planned a trip to the Keys with my scuba instructor but with my son receiving orders to leave on a moments notice to Iraq, we cancelled the vacation to spend one more family Christmas together. Good thing we did. He shipped out in Jan. So we thought since he would be gone for 18 months we would plan another vacation to make up for the one we missed at Christmas. Spring and Summer both came and went with no time off. Since hubby and I love to scuba dive, we wanted take a trip to Mexico with our favorite dive shop group. We waited too late to get our reservations in and missed the November trip. Now you would think that I would be heartbroken, but being slow this time was a blessing in disguise. We were going to Cozumel. Because of the hurricane blowing through there, we were thankful that we didn't go. Then we thought we would take a leep peeping trip to northern Virginia. We knew that our son would be coming home in early November so we took the last week in Oct to get away. Is there some vacation god up there who dictates who will and will not have a vacation? If so, he must have been taking a nap when we tried this past week. As sure as we were pulling into the parking lot of our very first vacation breakfast, the phone rang. "Mom, can you come and get me? I am at the airport." What??? No, I can't believe this? We are 4 hours away. This can not be happening!! So the kid found a ride home from the airport and told us to not come home. He said that he wanted to reconnect with his friends and that he wouldn't see us much the first days so stay and have a good time. Talk about "Mommy" guilt!! Hubby and I talked over breakfast and decided that we would stay and then go home on Sunday as planned. We got home in the early afternoon on Sunday. I did not see my son until 6 pm that night and was alloted 5 minutes before he dashed out the door to a concert with a friend. It's 8:35 am and I hear from his father that he didn't come in until dad was heading out the door for work this morning. Ah, to be young and able to burn the candle at both ends! Stay tuned for more about the vacation!

3 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I think we all come from that same root stock. My mother said I was a pain and I became a chef. I wanted to die that my son has been in Iraq for 8 months and then we weren't there in the airport when he came home for two weeks. Next time there will be no vacation anywhere near his arrival time!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ha Ha! You two were bad girls! My parents say I gave them their gray hair...and Loving Boyfriend swears that I'm the most stubborn person he's ever met (well, we make a good pair then, i say!)... maybe I was supposed to be a chef!

Vickie, Don't feel guilty - you had no idea and very much deserved your vacation! It sounds like he was having a great time anyway! I can't wait to hear about the rest of the vacation...

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I really wanted to come home to see the kid but we were 4 hours away and we wouldn't have been able to get him from the airport anyway. He is home now taking a nap before going out all night again. It drives me nuts but he is now 21 and I guess I don't get to make him behave. Darn it all! Who says I have control issues? lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home