The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, October 31, 2005


Wines and more wines...and those darned fruit flies!
Since our first experience at Veritas was a good one, we decided to go to another winery. While we were driving to Veritas, we noticed the signs also pointing us towards the Afton Mountain Winery. It was so close we decided to drive another mile or two down the road and do another tasting. Since we attended the Towne Point Wine Festival, we were familiar with Afton Mountain Winery. The funniest thing was, we had a bottle of their Riesling in our ice chest back at the hotel. We never did get a chance to open the bottle so it's in the wine refrigerator waiting to be opened here shortly!

I figured we were on a roll so we would try something new at Afton Mountain. I really don't care for red wine so when I saw what they were offering for the tasting, I was thrilled. I cut my wine teeth on Chardonnays so I was very pleased to see we would be tasting an Unwooded Chardonnay and one that was done in French oak barrels. I have never seen a label that tells you that the wine was "Unwooded". When I tasted it I thought it was crisp and very light with no real lingering after taste. Then I tasted the oak aged Chardonnay and I could taste the oak very plainly. I preferred the Unwooded. I have no idea why. I usually drink Chardonnays that are aged in oak but for some reason the unwooded satisfied me.
So we bought another bottle of a white wine. Hubby tasted the reds and I did also but neither one of us liked them enough to make a purchase. I was happy to have the Unwooded. I will have to let you know how it tastes later. I know that we will go back to both Veritas and Afton Mountain again. We have two or three more wineries that we made purchases from when we went to the Towne Point Wine Festival. So we might hit those the next time we get a few days off.
Just as a side note: there were those silly fruit flies at Afton Mountain too but not nearly as many. If they are around in the fall I wonder what they must be like in the harvest months?? UGH.

7 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

I love red wines, but I'm in agreement that Afton's whites are much better.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ever since I had some stomach surgery the reds really bother me so I have almost completely stopped drinking them. My husband is trying ease into them and we figured a tasting would do that. He did like the Rose at Veritas but we ended up both liking the Blanc better so we bought that one. I was really pleased with it. I am going to blog about two more wines later that we bought at the Wine Fest. They are not whites and I actually liked them.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Cool! Now I'm getting a list of wineries to try out when I come out there! I didn't even know there were wineries in Virginia until your posts...I wonder if any of them are available here? I am so jealous that you have a wine refrigerator!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, don't get so excited about the wine refrigerator. It's the cheapest one we could find from Lowe's. We would have loved to have a larger one but there just isn't space in the kitchen so we had to get the smallest one. There are a lot of wineries here in VA. We have a winery about 50-60 miles from our house. We have been there but I personally don't think some of their wines were as good as the ones we tasted at Veritas and Afton Mountain. I am not sure if Oregon imports wine from VA. lol!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

What!!! You are not drinking ITALIAN????

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

If you could find me a white wine from Italy, I would be fair and give it a shot! I was laughing so hard when I read this. Should I say, what you are not drinking American wine??? lol!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Melissa, have a great time! How wonderful for you to be able to travel and come home with new things to blog about. I will be waiting to see what you have learned!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home