The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006


Picture Perfect Piccata
I couldn't resist the temptation to do the three P's. This is the tease to the Crummy Day entry. I know I have taken my time but I have been wrapped up in yarn and wool. Sometimes, my thoughts don't even entertain what to put on the blog. Parish the thought!!

I had some chicken in the freezer and after two days of thawing in the refrigerator I had to either fix the it or throw it out. Since I wasn't going to do the home shopping for another three days, I had to break down and cook dinner! Rats, I would much rather knit. Oh well....

I have never made Piccata and now after making it and loving it, I haven't the foggiest idea why I have never made this. It's so simple you don't even need a recipe. Of course I used one, this time, but will never use one again. It's that easy. Okay, Michelle at Accidental Scientist, you can do this too! For sure! First I used three boneless, skinless chicken breast. Then I used my trusty meat mallet and beat them to death, well almost... I took one egg and beat it in a small bowl. I took my whole wheat bread crumbs and put them on a flat dish. Then I dipped the chicken breasts in the egg and then in those wonderful whole wheat bread crumbs. I heated up my All-Clad 8" skillet with a little olive oil, about 1-1/2 TBS olive oil and sauteed half of one white onion very finely chopped. Then sauteed the chicken breast until they were nicely browned on the outside. I took the chicken breast out and set them on a plate while I added 1 cup of chicken stock to the hot pan and little bubble a bit. I sliced one lemon in half that I had rolled on the counter top to loosen up the inside for better juicing and then squeezed that in the skillet. While that made my kitchen smell like a lemon grove, I drained 1/2 of a jar of capers and rinsed them off a bit. They can be on the salty side. I put them in and then added 2 TBS of butter and then the chicken breast to the skillet. I let the chicken finish cooking at a medium low setting for the stove and dinner was done. It really was just that simple.
Dinner was sauteed yellow squash and one microwaved potato along with the Chicken Piccata and the pan sauce. I wish I had used my green plates so it showed up better, but honestly I was looking for quick and easy so I could got back to my knitting.

5 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Melissa, I belong to PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)! lol.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Ilva said...

I love piccata! It's soooo tasty although not the healthiest but who cares anyway!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Being wrapped up in yarn & wool is a wonderful thing. :-)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Heh heh, even I can do it! I'll have to try this one at home! Strangely enough I did something sort of similar with bread crumbs and chicken last night! It sounds yummy - I've had veal piccata before and made it, but never chicken (cheaper and easier!). And I LOVE capers! LB has only recently turned over his distaste for their saltiness so we're still working on that. And I want to belong to Vickie's PETA too!!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle-I am with LB. I am not fond of capers but this dish is perfect for them. For some reason the lemon juice helps to tame too much saltiness from the capers. Of course rinsing them off helps too, but the lemon juice is such a perfect fit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home