The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

It was Two Chili on Saturday!
This past Saturday I worked at my local Fresh Market doing a demo for White Bean Turkey Chili. As always I see monthly visitors that always come by and chat with me about food. Fresh Market has an on-line program to send out notices about the cooking demo and certain featured food items. For those of you who live close to one you really should get on their E mail list.

This past Saturday it was my pleasure to demo White Bean Turkey Chili. As smart as I think I am, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. I stand in one spot behind a table cook and hand out free samples to the featured recipe. I am there 3 hours and sometimes it’s very hectic, hence no photo. Take my word for it, the chili was well received and it smells so fragrant. Below you will find the recipe.

While I love turkey, later that night I was really in the mood for beef. After cooking the demo item, I did not want to go home and make it again. So I decided on Cheater Chili. Now, this is not a recipe as recipes go but it’s easy and hits the spot every time. I made the chili recipe along with some Jiffy Corn Muffins. The process is really simple if you only follow the instructions off the back of the bag, but you know me! I needed some veggies in my chili so I cut up one whole green pepper and two small onions. I put a little canola oil, maybe a few tablespoons, then I sautéed the pepper and onion and added the ground beef. From there I followed the back of the bag. I did add the small packet of cayenne despite my husband’s hesitation. I like my food to have good flavor but not heat enough to suffer over. You know what I mean? I don’t understand crying or sweating while eating my food.

Here is my Cheater Chili fixins’

This is the Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit. The kit is enough to make chili with 2 pounds of meat. If I were in Texas I would have used "chili meat". "Chili meat" is a coarse grind of beef. Don't ask what's in there or you might cringe. It's not a Weight Watcher's friendly kind of meat. I did try to keep this on the healthy side by using the 93% lean ground meat.

Inside the bag is four packets. Two packets are optional; the salt packet and the cayenne pepper packet. The two larger bags are necessary! The first packet is the Spice packet. It contains ground chili peppers, masa flour, cumin, oregano, garlic, onion, paprika and salt. The second packet is more Masa flour. I like thick chili rather than thin and watery so for me that packet is necessary.

Here are the directions from the back of the bag that I used.
Brown 2 pounds of beef in a skillet (I used a dutch oven) or saucepan. Drain fat. Dump in one 8 oz. can tomato sauce (of course I didn't have any so I used one 15 can of diced tomatoes and didn't drain them) and 2 8 oz cans of water (again I just used my best judgement for the water since I like thicker chili). Add large Spice packet and salt to your likin'. If you want it hot, dump in some cayenne pepper (Small Red Packet) but go easy unless you're real brave. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. For thickier chili, mix Masa Flour (White packet) with 1/3 cup of water, stir in and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Makes 6 1 cup servings.

8 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds good - and looks cute, kind of like a face with two corn muffin eyes! We had a 'cheater pasta'of sorts last night too, but it didn't quite turn out like I had imagined it, and I'm sure not nearly as delicious as your chili! I looked for a fresh market, thinking I would be able to have my own Vickie Brown handing out delicious chili to me too, but to no avail, there isn't one near me :(

Guess what I have cooking in my crock pot today???

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Well, dear, Vickie Brown could pass out chili to you if you would fly me to Oregon. I would be more than happy to do that for ya! lol!

Tell me the crock pot is fired up to make something with say...chicken??

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hee hee, if one of us was going to be flying anywhere, it should not be in this direction - it's been pouring rain for a month! We need to find ourselves some plutonic sugar daddies to fly us wherever we want to go! And yes, the caccaitore was wonderful - although I freaked out at the last minute and added a bit of water because I wasn't sure there was enough liquid in there (I forgive myself, this was my first crock pot experience....but I know better now!)...so mine was a bit watery, but great flavor. I'll be making it again, I'm sure!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Lovely! I freaked out when I saw how thick it looked too and added one can of diced tomatoes undrained. I let it cook for about another hour and it looked much better. So now you know you have to take a look at something and then make adjustments. I am thrilled you like it. The whole book that I cooked that recipe from has lots more good crock recipes.

As for the Sugar Daddy, we really need to try harder and find one so we can get together in a really nice kitchen and go wild with cooking!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - It's been chilly here in SF, and I've actually been craving chili. Thanks fo the inspiration. I even have a few packets of Carroll Shelby's that I picked up when I was in Houston last year. Do you use the entire masa flour packet? I tend to use just half.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I really like my chili thick, so I did add the whole packet. If you don't like it really thick then you only have to add what pleases you. I like mine so think that you can stand a spoon up in the bowl, if that helps you decide. lol!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Now, where can we find our Sugardaddy...maybe he should own a scubad diving resort in a hot, beautiful place too?

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

You know a lot of chefs get gigs on boats and cook for Americans who don't want to eat anything except meatloaf. I had a friend who went to Greece with some Microsoft guy and she cooked the three weeks they were on the boat. She said it was fun but she would never do it again. Can you be a Sous Chef?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home