The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, January 22, 2006




What a Crummy day!
I wasn't able to get into the mood to do "Play Day Friday", but did manage to get something else done. Hubby took out a loaf of Wonder Lite Whole Wheat bread from the freezer last week and half of every slice was a bit discolored. It had freezer burn due to a tiny hole in the bag. I hate wasting bread when I know I can still use it even with freezer burn. So I spread the slices out on the cutting board and left them out in the open for three days. Every day I turned them over to make sure that they were dried out really well. Friday I whipped out the mini chopper and ground up all those slices of dried out whole wheat bread. I do love my Panko Japanese bread crumbs, but whole wheat is better for me. So these crumbs will evolve into something else later down the road. Stay tuned...

8 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Good thinking on the bread crumbs...can't wait to see what you make with them. Very cute pics of Charlie. I can almost see his tail wagging!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Charlie is sooo cute! I like your breadcrumb idea too...smart and healthy! Let's say you make a batch that is too big to use all at once...Do you store them in the freezer again, or will they last in an airtight bag in the cupboard (or will they get moldy then...hmmm)?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Dawn-thanks about Charlie. He is the baby at 4. We just love him because he gives very sweet little kisses unlike our Moose who slobbers everywhere.

Michelle-I have toasted the bread crumbs in the oven in the past and just stored them in my tupperware in the pantry. I have never had them mold. Other times if I have several loaves to do, I will go ahead and freeze them to use later. I was going to make crotons but changed my mind. That's another use for day old bread.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Good to know, thanks! I forgot to mention yesterday that your title for this post is especially witty, my dear, especially witty!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

lol! It was oh so true!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Deetsa said...

Well, it's nice to see that my family and me aren't the only ones to save bread ends and such and then whiz em up into crumbs for breading. Currently have some more on the counter. Drives the fiance batty.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

What the heck! It's saving money and besides, how can we waste perfectly good bread?? lol! I can't waste a lot of things and will have more ideas later in the blog another time. I hate for people to see how frugal I am, but it's makes good copy!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Randi said...

I just got a Mccoy bowl just like yours. I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home