The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, January 30, 2006

That thing that I do…Part 1

I am a bit leery about doing a whole blog entry about what I do for a living. S’kat from s’kat the Food sent me an E mail telling me I should do a blog entry about what I do for a living. So this is for s’kat.

Ever since I can remember I have been totally enthralled with food and hence a life long battle with compulsive over eating. After spending a year in therapy to get a grip on what was causing me to over eat, I had gastric by-pass surgery in 1993. That surgery caused a very positive domino effect in my life. Weighing 260 at 5’2” was not conducive to getting around without being winded and I won’t even go into what it did for my self esteem. I lost 110lbs and decided to change my life.

I wanted to make my obsession with food to be a positive force in my life. I found out via a co-worker that there was a culinary school very near where I live. I hadn’t been in school in 20 some odd years but went and submitted my paperwork to attend Johnson & Wales University. Imagine my total shock when they accepted me. I started school in the fall of 1995 and graduated in May of 97.

My first job after graduation was less than fulfilling and I started to get restless after 4 months of working for $6 an hour and 40+ hours a week. A Sous chef in the kitchen where I worked was having a day with a snippy attitude and made a comment that changed my life. The chef snapped that he should just be a personal chef and quit this crappy job. Ding, ding, ding! Bells went off in my head so loud I thought everyone else could hear them.

I could not wait to get home and do a search on the internet. Sure enough I found a group called, The United States Personal Chef Association. I called the 800 number at least three times to ask a multitude of questions. No one here had ever heard of this sort of a profession. I wanted to research this group. I went to my instructors at J&W and they pooh-poohed the idea. Was I nuts?

Well, I have never been known for always making the best decisions with my money, so what else would I do but plunge head first with my trusty credit card and do it. The USPCA had a plan to teach you how to set up a Personal Chef business. I charged the plan and prayed they weren’t a scam. Sure enough about two weeks later, I got the whole deal delivered to my door.

I read that book from cover to cover and back again. I had a headache! What had I done? I had zero business experience and what the hell was I thinking???

5 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

How can you do this to us?? Just leaving us like this? When is the next installment?? Soon I hope! And I'm really impressed when I hear about your past and your relation to food, what a change! BRAVISSIMA!
(btw I have given you an answer of some sort on my blog!)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

I promise to do it this week. I didn't want this post to be so long that no one would read it. I have to work tomorrow so probably on Wednesday I will finish part 2. It's started already started but needs some firming up.

I will check you blog about my pasta question! Thanks!

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

My goodness you are up early. I was sitting here checking my E mail when your post popped up. Gave me a bit of a jolt! I will do part 2 tomorrow. Have to work today!

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

This is wonderful, Vicky, I'm on the edge of my chair! It sounds like you've come a long way, baby!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Vickie!
What an inspiring story...You've come an amazingly far journey, and I'm so happy that you've found something that you truly enjoy now (with some great knitting projects on the side, of course). I can't wait to hear the rest of your story! And PS. I wish I could lay with Sadie in some of that sunshine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home