The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, February 06, 2006


Creamy Comfort Food
I am a huge fan of fixing comfort foods especially in the winter months. I usually gain a few pounds over the winter and then shed it with fresh fruit and veggies come spring and winter. I have tried eating those things in the winter months but my body craves those heavy meats, sauces and carbs. One of my most favorite comfort foods is Chicken Pot Pie. I have memories of eating those little mini ones from Swansons when I was a kid. My mom used to buy them in chicken or beef and I loved them both. They had that nice flaky crust on the top and bottom of the little tin. I think now-a-days they only have the crust on the top. Sadly I have also followed suit with only having crust on one side. It does cut down on the fat content some...

I have had this cookbook since I have been married about 27 years. I really can't remember where I got it, but I think I bought it through some book club I used to belong to. It was a great foundation for me as a new bride and cook. I wish I could open it and show you how all most all the pages have some gravy stains, grease stains and comments on my most treasured recipes. One of my favorite two are the Chicken Pot Pie and the Chicken a la' King. I have them memorized. I have modified them due to becoming Lactose Intolerate many years ago. I use the Lactaid milk instead of heavy cream or half and half. It does make the recipes a little more liquidy but it's worth not being sick over.
I started my chicken pot pie by cutting up all the vegetables. Then I sauteed the onions in the butter until they were tender. The picture is a bit blurry but that is from the steam coming from the skillet. I made a roux (half real butter and half fat free Lactose milk). I boiled the rest of the vegetables in some water and when they were just about cooked, I added them to the sauce.
. I used three boneless, skinless, chicken breast. They used to come four to a package but for some reason they have dropped down to three. That's probably just as well since I am only feeding two people these days. I saved the water from the boiling vegetables and then dropped my chicken breast in that water as soon as it came back to a rolling boil. Once the chicken breasts were cooked and cooled; I chopped them into smaller bite sized pieces. All the ingredients were mixed in the skillet to be sure and coat everything in the sauce. Then I sprayed some non-stick spray on my Corningware and everything from the skillet was put in there for baking. Here is the finished pie before baking. I had some left over pie dough and decided to use a cookie cutter to cut out the state of Texas and put them on top. I brushed the whole thing with an egg. Use can use milk to do the very same thing as the egg. Using the egg or milk helps to give the crust an extra shine to it and makes the brown much nicer. I will post next weekend.

3 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh God, you saw one of your clients nude?? ACK! Poor Vickie! I tried to post here yesterday and dumb blogger wouldn't let me! So here I am today...

Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite dishes of all time...I too used to eat swansons and it's kind of sad that they got rid of the bottom crust! My favorite thing to do was to turn it over, let the pie fall out, then poke my fork through the bottom - like a savory creme brulee of sorts I guess. But you're right...it does cut down on fat! This looks great - I don't have a good pot pie recipe in my repertoir just yet. I love the stories your cookbook emanates...

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your chicken pot pie looks delicious and comforting! I need to make one from scratch because my samplings of different restraurant pot pies has been pretty dismal. As a Texan, I got a kick out of your mini texas cut outs, they are adorable. I need to find some to use on my next apple pie.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ungouremtgal-I am a native Texan and I use that cookie cutter for all kinds of things. I have one of a boot, cactus and I think a long horn. Just can't have too many Texas cookie cutters!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home