The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Chicken Pot Pie
Here is the recipe for the Chicken Pot Pie that I made a while ago. It turns out great and you can cheat and use ready made crust and you can put it on the bottom and on the top. If you use either a lightly beaten egg or some milk, the crust will has a sheen to it.
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken or turkey broth
2/3 cup milk
1 package frozen peas and carrots
2 cups cut-up chicken or turkey

Heat margarine (butter works much better) over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Bil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables.

Pour mixture in a casserole dish (spraying with non-stick spray will help to make clean up easier) then lay the pastry crust over the mixture. Cut slits in the crust to allow steam to escape while baking. Bake at 425 uncovered until crust is browned. It will take about 30-35 minutes depending on your oven.

Okay, let me talk about the ingredients first. I always use more onion than it calls for and I don't use frozen carrots. I do however use frozen green peas. Sometimes I throw in sliced button mushrooms. When I made my CPP I put chicken breasts in water first to boil. I took the chicken breast out to cool so I could cut it up or pull apart by hand. Then I added the vegetables next, saving the liquid (so I can use it for the 1 3/4 cup of broth and then add more water to it and made chicken stock from there) If you would like to kick up the flavor a notch, then add 2-3 tablespoons of sherry to the finished dish before baking.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Mmm...thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home