The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Splendid Baking Part 2

Like I mentioned in the Part 1 post; I have had an aching sweet tooth that needed some attention. I went a bit overboard but I did hit the wall of sweets. I lingered over the back of a bag of Splenda a bit too long and discovered I had all the ingredients I needed to bake once again. I know, I should have sat down and let the feeling pass while eating an apple or a piece of celery or something. But I didn’t.

Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 10 muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup (1 stick) light margarine, softened
1 cup Splenda Granular No Calorie Sweetener
¼ cup honey
2 whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup skim milk
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350. Line 10 muffin cups with paper liners. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt; set aside. Beat together margarine, Splenda, and honey with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Alternately stir in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in berries. Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, and bake until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean about 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove muffins from pan. Cool completely on wire rack
Serving size 1 muffin (HA!)

My observation: I don’t ever bake with margarine. I use butter. I used frozen blueberries that I tossed with some flour. I heard this is supposed to keep the berries from all sinking to the bottom of the tin. I never bake my muffins in paper; just my quirk. I baked my muffins in a silicon muffin pan. I know you are not supposed to spray non-stick spray on them, but I do it anyway out of habit. Don't rub your eyes. You are not seeing things. The silicon muffin tin makes smaller muffins and I got a full dozen muffins from the batter.

They pop out like a charm! Some habits are good. The texture of the muffins were moist but not crumbly. I ate six and gave the other six to my 21 year old son. He was thrilled because he doesn’t cook and was glad for a freebie of food from his mother. I would make them again, but not anytime soon!
Sorry about the blurry picture. I still need to learn how to focus the camera but you get the jest of it, right?

5 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I love blueberry muffins ... there's something so comforting about them. Those look so delectable I could swallow the whole lot at a go!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

In June here in VA we have a place I can drive to in the country and pick my own berries. I have not been able to go for a few years but I think I will have time this year. I will freeze them and save them for winter to remind me of summer. I love jam so might even consider some blueberry jam. I don't think I have ever met a blueberry that I didn't like!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I also love blueberry muffins. I don't make them often enough, though! MMmmm. I will have to make some again soon because those look good!

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

I think I might need to invest in some silicone. I've always been a tad reluctant to use them (the whole info-mercial thing made me skeptical). But I guess they really do work well.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Ed-I was a bit leary of using them myself but other working chefs that I know swear by them. I bought some at a gourment outlet for $20 and they work just fine. I made meatloaf last night in the loaf silicon pan and washing it was a snap! I think that eventually I will add other shapes to my little collection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home