The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Fresh Market Demo
This past weekend I did my monthly food demo at the local Fresh Market. Fresh Market is small chain of upscale gourmet grocery stores. I have to say that they have some of the best looking produce I see around in my area. When I was there this past weekend I saw the most amazing pyramid of fresh unblemished artichokes. The whole time I was doing my demo I had visions in my head of buying three or four of those strking artichokes and taking them home with me. Of course, as soon as my demo was over I dashed out of there without the artichokes.

This weekend I demonstrated Artichoke and Sundried Tomato Chicken. It's what I call a basic "dump" recipe. This is not a culinary term don't freak out. It's a term that denotes opening cans and jars and dumping into a pan or pot to create a very simple meal. I grew up in the 60s and many recipes were like that then. Thankfully we have stepped it up a bit and have changed the quality of items that we "dump". Below you will find the recipe.


Artichoke and Sundried Tomato Chicken
4 Boneless Fresh Market skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper for seasoning
(2) Cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup your favorite white wine
1/2 (14 ounces) can of San Marzano diced tomatoes with juices
¼ cup prepared Bella Cucina sun dried tomato pesto
1 (14 ounces) can of Progresso Artichoke hearts (quartered)
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet on a medium high heat, and add the olive oil till just smoking. Place chicken in the skillet and brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Put garlic in the pan, and sear, till aromas begin to release, this will happen quickly, maybe just a minute or so, and garlic turns golden brown. Take pan AWAY from the heat and add the wine. Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and let wine reduce for about 1 minute.
Pour tomatoes into pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in pesto and artichokes. Return chicken to the pan, and cover. Lower heat to medium low, and continue until chicken in finished cooking through, approximately 10 minutes.

7 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger s'kat said...

That looks absolutely scrummy! I may possibly tempt DucCat into eating this over pasta, hmm...

I love the vegetable section at Whole Foods! My husband will complete his shopping, then come back to coax me away from the rows of perfect cabbages and unblemished potatoes.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

This sounds delicious! What did you make with your artichokes? The only thing we ever do is eat them with butter or mayo. So glad to say that I hope to be blogging at least a few days a week again. Thank you for checking in on me (it's nice to know someone cares!) while I was gone.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Dawn, I never did get the artichokes. I was tired from standing up and crotching over the burner that I left when the demo was over and never got the artichokes. I have missed your blog and am so glad that you will find the time to do it again. Once or twice a week is enough as long as it doesn't cut into your family time. I do mine on my days off or very late at night.

S'kat-I am still hoping that Whole Foods come here to Hampton Roads! When and if they build one here, I will be sure and splash it all over my blog. Pasta is perfect for this dish. Someone at the demo mentioned eating it over rice. Not exactly what I would eaten it with, but hey to each his own. I am like you I love being the first one in after the vegetable dept has just finished their stocking for the day and no one has touched a thing. It looks so colorful and so pretty.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

You're so sweet! I will keep it up, as often as I can. You cat is cute, I can imagine it with one of those haircuts!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Vickie - That sounds absolutely delicious. If I had been there, I would probably have tried to sneak back into line and get an extra sample!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Just think ... that's how Rachael Ray started... ;)

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Well, I will demo until the cows come home if I can get a career like Rachael Ray!

Ed-people actually do come twice. They crack me up. They think that I won't know them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home