The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Wanna Be Bread Bakers...
I forgot to post the wheat bread recipe the other day so I here it is. It's extremely easy and you really can't screw this up unless you don't knead the bread the way it says to. Having a themometer really helps so that you don't have the water too hot thus killing the yeast.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Yield: 2 loaves
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups water, 105-115F
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening, melted
2 cups whole wheat flour
4-41/2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in water in a large mixing bowl; let stand for five minutes. Add the next 4 ingredients. Stir in whole wheat flour; beat well. Stir in bread flour to make a smooth dough. Turn onto floured board; knead 10 minutes adding flour as needed. Turn into clean, greased bowl; let rise on hour until doubled in size. Shape into two loaves. Place into greased pans; let rise utnil doubled. Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes or until golden.

I wanted to comment on the ingredients that I used. I had just enough freezer burned whole wheat flour to do the 2 cups, but I also had some bread flour too. So I used the 2 cups of wheat flour, 2 cups of bread flour and 21/2 cups all-purpose flour.

The melted shortening grossed me out but I did have some and used the non-transfat stuff. It's only 1/4 cup so I did use it. When I greased the bowl for the first rising I used olive oil. I like that insead of canola oil.

So there is a pretty simple Whole Wheat bread for a beginner or a rusty bread baker like myself. This recipe came from The Best of Honey Recipes by Beatrice Ojakangas

2 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds yummy - except that all I can think of now are the bug eggs lying dormant in my cornmeal, my flour, and my rice. Ew! You've shattered my bay-leaf- packing weevil life cycle naivity!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

LOLOLOLOLOL. It's gross, huh! I was totally unhappy that the myth got busted. I had to clean out my stuff and it cost me a fortune to replace a ton of different flours, grains and rices. I was not happy to find out that the old bay leaf trick doesn't really work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home