The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Sweet Tooth Experiment-Part 1
I have been having a wicked attack of my sweet tooth lately. I have confessed in other blog entries that I am a carb addict so I would rather have a buttered bowl of pasta than a piece of cake. I know I am weird. So having this aching in my sweet tooth has driven me to experiments that I wouldn't usually undertake. As many of you know already, I had gastric by-pass surgery and do not digest sugar or dairy due to a shortened small intestine. Gross huh? I usually avoid both the sugar and most dairy. I miss donuts and ice cream but the price I have to pay to eat them is more than I am willing to pay. So with the introduction of Splenda, I have gone bonkers. I know that there are many of you who do the natural food thing, but even honey has consequences I would rather not talk about if you get my drift. I am not fond of artifical sweeteners but this one actually works for me. I started using it in my tea. That went well. Then Splenda came out with Splenda for Baking and then the Brown Sugar Blend. I was a bit skeptical so I have been doing some research.

My first experiment was with Chocolate Chip Cookies. I used the Nestle's recipe but substitued the regular Splenda not really knowing the measurement ratio to regular sugar. Nestle's calls for 3/4 cup and I think I used 1/2 a cup of Splenda. I did use regular brown sugar. I was pleasantly surprised but had some small discomfort.

While I was shopping I spotted Splenda for Baking. Cool! So the next time I baked the same recipe from Nestle's I used the Baking Splenda instead of the regular Splenda. I did use regular brown sugar again and still hae a few side effects. The next time I went shopping I finally found the last piece to the puzzle-Brown Sugar Blend Splenda. . This last time I baked I used the Splenda for Baking along with the Brown Sugar Blend Splenda using their chocolate chip recipe. It worked like a charm.

Now my observations-the cookies take much longer to bake and are not as chewy as cookies made with sugar. The real sweetness is not there as with sugar but I have to say, they ain't bad! When you have had to pass on things with sugar, you are thankful for other ways. I know this is not a natural solution to my body's problem with sugar, but the only solution for this is abstinence from any sugar in any form. I won't be going nuts and baking everyday with this stuff, but it's nice to have a treat every now and then that doesn't drive my body nuts.


I realize that there are opposing opinions and for fairness sake here are some sites that talk about the horrors of Splenda-Sucralose Toxicity Information Center, Splenda is not Splendid and Slenda is Not a Healthy Sweetener.

I want to also say that I don't smoke, I seldom drink, I don't eat very many canned goods, and I have given up ice cream, soda, mayonnaise, etc. We all have to choose our poisions and now and then Splenda in my tea and cookies will be mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home