The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Thursday, April 13, 2006


Soothing the Savage Beast
I had a lovely quiet and wonderfully blissful morning yesterday until the phone rang. It was the CPA. I like this man and have known him for about 6 years now. Yesterday I wanted to do horrible unspeakable things to him. The news was not good at any level. We owe the IRS and the state of Virginia an obscene amount of money. Yesterday was the 12th and we have to have our taxes postmarked by the 17th not to pay a penalty and a disgusting interest fee.

So what do mad chefs do when getting bad news?? We sooth the savage beast by BAKING. Being left home alone on what was supposed to be a lovely day off, was dangerous. I was mad, mad, mad!! It is three days until I can go grocery shop and there are no cookies, no chocolate (that in itself is a HUGE crime) and no ice cream to drown my tax sorrows in.

I was on a tear! I looked high and low to make something, anything to take my mind off of owing so much money I wanted to faint. I am an avid tea drinker and believe that you should always have a biscuit or small cookie of some sort when you have a proper cup of tea. Biscotti, would do the trick.

I have to say that as little as I bake, I do still enjoy it. You don't really have to be good at it but you have to like it. It made me feel less beastly about the CPA and I got a treat with my afternoon cup (pot) of tea. When you feel horrible, create something. It takes your mind off of what could have ruined the rest of a perfectly lovely, sunny, warm day.

Here is what bliss looks like before you cut it up and bake it a second time.


Here is savage soothing bliss after second baking and skillfull stacking...now for the best part...

Now does anyone know of a good bank that needs to be relieved of some of their money?

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Damn CPA/IRS! Taxes are the bane of my existence every year too. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hang in there and keep up that culinary- therapy...it always helps me too, especially when there's some nice tea involved to increase the soothing power. I wish I had money to send you!!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Ed Tep said...

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear you owe so much! Too bad the IRS doesn't accept biscotti as payment, cuz yours looks like it would be worth a million bucks! =)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Melissa-You know I really don't hate paying my taxes, but how dumb we were not to uphold hubby's withholding when son #2 left home for good. I don't know what we were thinking?? So now we have to pay for that mistake. We will be more prepared for next year though. Painful mistake!

Michelle-I wish you had a money tree out there on OR and could puck a bucket of bills for me. I don't think we have paid that kind of money in years and years. We were on top of that game and now we are beaten! So we will live another day to pay, pay, pay!

Ed-You are so funny. I just love Biscotti. I mainly eat it in the winter months but I was so peeved I couldn't help myself!! Desperate times call for desperate measures...FOOD! lol!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

Ack! Can't stand taxes. But your biscotti does look lovely. And that is too funny that we both chose biscotti for our kitchen therapy.

So where's your recipe? : )

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Susan-I will post the recipe later this evening or tomorrow. We have been plotting the plot! I have been inspired to play in the dirt again. See what you have done to me, first sheep now gardening and I have even entertained the idea of sheep "tea". Now how's that for a city girl? lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home