The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Adventurous Eating
Since hubby is working 60 hours a week for the next month or so, I have been tasked with doing the shopping for the two of us. I am a Personal Chef and shop three to four days a week for clients. I have boycotted doing my own personal grocery shopping. This is for two reasons. One, I am already in a grocery store more than the average housewife. Two, it takes me forever to shop. I get so distracted that I leave with either too much stuff or not enough. I find a new thing and focus on that. I get so excited about it, I have to pay and leave immediately so I can go home and either make something with it or eat it in the car before leaving the parking lot. I know that I am not the only one out there eating new things in the parking lot. Come you guys all know who you are...
Today true to form I got distracted and couldn't focus. I was in the produce section on my way to the deli counter and there they were...little plastic neatly wrapped boxes of Sushi. Now I am a beginner at eating Sushi. I am a Certified ServSafe Instructor and I teach the horrors of foodborne illnesses. I just couldn't make myself eat that raw fish. I know I have heard it a million times how the fish is frozenit kills any worm, and blah, blah, blah. Okay, so I have begun to cave. I have eaten California Rolls and have eaten a few tuna rolls, but today I found something that I could actually wrap my head around. They were labeled Avacado Salad Roll. Yummy. I snatched that package up so hard I got a plastic box cut on my finger! Never shop when you are hungry. $292.85 later I left the store. I could not stop thinking about that healthy stuff in the brown bag calling my name. I got home, unloaded the car and made a beeline for the plates. I read the label and I wilted a bit. Tapioca paper (tapioca, salt, water), Avocado, Cucumber, Carrots, Red Cabbage, Leaf Lettuce. Okay, I understand these so far...now...(Pepper, Spices, Caramel Color, Acetic Acid, FD&C Red NO.40, Dehydrated Onion, Roasted Peanuts) Chili Sauce (Water, Red Chili, Sugar, Salt, Vinegar)


Was this really all that healthy? If you leave off the sauce packet that came in the box it would be healthier. Okay, I ate the stuff anyway. It was really good and that makes me sad because I have been trying to eat healthier and I think soy sauce with ginger and scallions would have made a better choice. So live and learn. Eat the lovely rolls, make your own dipping sauce and throw the packet away.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOL! You're just like me! I'm only allowed to go to the grocery store 1X a week (unless I can sneak away, shop, unload, throw it in the cabinet and pretend like I was home the whole time). Although, you must find someone to teach you to make your own sushi - it actually IS healthy, and delicious, and doesn't have Red #40 in it...though it takes a long time to learn to make rolls as pretty as the ones from the store. Thanks for the laughs - I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michele, it's always nice to know that you are not alone with funny little quirks like...over shopping for food, eating in the car in the grocery store parking lot and hiding things in the back of cabinets. LOL! Gee, do you think we are ALL related in some, way, shape or form?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home