The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, September 17, 2005


Food Demo at Fresh Market
About once a month I have the privledge of doing a food demo at the Virginia Beach Fresh Market http://www.freshmarket.com Today's demo was Chicken Breasts with Scallions, Shiitake Mushrooms and Tomatoes. Chefs USA http://www.chefsusa.com hires Personal Chefs to do in-store demos to promote food and wine. Below you will find the recipe.


Chicken Breasts with Scallions, Shiitake Mushrooms and Tomatoes

3 Whole Boneless Chicken Breasts, Halved
2 T Olive Oil
1 T Minced Garlic
½ C Minced Shallot
1 T Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 C Fresh Shiitake Mushroom Sliced, Stems Discarded
¼ C Pinot Noir wine
1 ¼ C Chicken Broth
¾ C Chopped Scallions
2 t Corn Starch
3 Plum Tomatoes, seeded and diced

1. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot, but not smoking. Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side. After cooking, transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.
2. In the skillet add the garlic, shallot and half of the thyme and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for one minute and then add wine. Bring the mixture to a boil and add chicken broth and scallions. Simmer for 1 minute. In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup chicken broth and corn starch. Add this mixture to the skillet with the tomatoes. Add the chicken back into the sauce and continue to cook until sauce thickens (3-4 minutes).

4 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger ReMARKable Palate said...

Yum, sounds likea simple, yet satisfying recipe that just about anyne can do with fresh ingredients from the greenmarket. The perfect kind of demo recipe! Nice photo too. Did you get any pictures of the dish?

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Clearly I am new at this picture thing. My husband came along with me to take the photos and I shooed him away once the demo actually began not thinking about getting a photo of the end product. I will be more vigilant next time to do that. I did have some issues with the dish. It seems a bit brown for my liking but when you sprinkle the sliced green onions that helps along with the slightly cooked tomatoes to brighten up the dish. I promise next time to take a picture!

I think we need to eat this one day this week. I can take a photo then.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great! I saw your comment at glutenfreegirl and I just wanted to say welcome to the food blogging world! I am a newbie, too - just 2 weeks. But I love it so far and I think you will, too!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Thanks Beth! I am so new at this that I am postively giddy about doing this. I have been a Personal Chef for 8 years and never dreamed that anything would make me giggle when I hit ENTER as much as this has. How silly is that?? lol! I have been trying to get things ready to do Podcasts for the foodblog and it's been an education too. I had no idea this had been going on for so long. What a new world experience this has been. Thanks again for your kind words. It was a thrill to see I had a visitor besides my friends and family! lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home