The Moveable Feast Food Blog

The Moveable Feast is a Personal Chef Service that serves the Hampton Roads area of Southern Virginia. This blog is an extension of my web site www.themoveablefeastpcs.com and will go into more details about food and any food service industries. Any pictures and or recipes that are published here are all the property of The Moveable Feast unless otherwise noted.

Monday, September 19, 2005


Collecting Out of Control
When is a collection out of control? I started collecting watermelon glassware back in the 80s. Then I went to a Wangs store in Memphis (they are no longer there) and I spotted a few fruit and vegetable pitchers and teapots. I snapped! I had to collect every fruit and vegetable known to man in glassware. Then as if that wasn't enough...Now it has taken over my window in the form of painted fruit pictures on glass. Then there is the cabinet over the sink.. and then there is the shelf above the kitchen sliding glass door. It's the Twinkie that ate Texas. The worst part is...I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! I will be walking through a mall or some store and see a pitcher or a tea pot and have to have it. Will this obsession ever go away before I run out of wall space and shelves? Is anyone else out there as smitten with eating food and then collecting it as I am?

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Vicki -
I AM, I AM! But I'm even worse - I just collect food! And then I have to eat it all before it goes bad. It's my biggest weakness, but I can't help it...at least you get to enjoy your collection for years to come! I'm jealous of your job and that you get to work with food every day. Welcome to the blogging world! I'm new too, and it's totally addicting. I'll be back - keep up the good work!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said...

Michelle, you are too funny! I am a complusive over eater who is just trying to get through it one day at a time. I spent a year in therapy and finally decided that I had the personal power to take the thing that I felt was negative in my life and make it positive. Why not take an obsession and make money off of it?? So I became a Personal Chef. The funniest part of all of it, is I don't eat while I am at a client's house. Isn't that odd? I have such self control then. I am so focused on making their eating experience a great one that I forget to eat myself. It's when I get home that all hell breaks loose.

Since Feb of this year I have lost 40 pounds and still have about 30 more to go. I found that if I find something else to do with my time I don't obsess over food. I now get to think about things to put on the blog and grow my business, clean my house, love on my husband and my dogs, etc. I am hoping that I can finally pick up a book and read. So finding other things to do has been most helpful. Going to the gym wears me out so I am too tired to eat somedays. Go figure!!

Thanks for telling me that you will be back. I have no idea if what I say is of any interest to anyone else out there. I haven't told many people I know I do this so anyone who finds me is by accident. Thanks, so much, you made my day!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home